Shop Build - How Tall Is Too Tall ?
The only thing that would have me wanting to go higher than 12 would be if the shop had a vehicle lift installed.

I find my heating unit is much more efficient when I run the wall-mounted oscillating fan to keep the air mixed.  Otherwise, the heat goes straight to the ceiling.

I have a 700 sq ft loft over the shop as well; it's unfinished, but provides good storage.  I had to close off the stairwell with a flip-down insulated panel that stays closed in the winter.  Otherwise, the stairwell acted as  chimney for letting heat go up to the un-insulated loft area.
OK, Dennis...it's unanimous
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh .  Anyway, what think after this collection of opinions?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I would check with zoning.  I know that my basement is 7 feet tall because if it were 8 feet tall it would be "living space" and my house's property tax would be based on 3,600 square feet instead of the 2,000 square feet it is now.

Check to see what the zoning rules are for both building and for taxing purposes.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-09-2017, 08:06 AM)fredhargis Wrote: OK, Dennis...it's unanimous
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh .  Anyway, what think after this collection of opinions?

I think I should have done a poll.  Didn't know so many people would have an opinion on the matter.  I feel that we're all blessed if we have personal experience on the issue. 

*I* am not planning on any kind of heat in the shop. 

I don't store a lot of lumber, haven't had the space.  Now if I had the space, I'd store some.  And I like storing it vertically to save on floor space.  I was already planning on some "upper racks" for the top 2' of the original 10' walls. 

I'm not exactly looking forward to a 12/12 roof either.  But even if I added 2' to the wall, and then took 2' off of the roof, I'd still be a 10/12.  And to me, there's not much difference in 10/12 and 12/12.  *PLUS* 12/12 would match the house. 

I live in central Mississippi.  Snow load is not an issue.  And I believe the less holes in the roof, the better. 

A car lift has been in my brain of things extra  height would be good for.  I don't ever foresee me putting one in, but they are getting popular.  It would also allow me to put in a taller door.  Current planning on putting in an 8' 9" door.  If I went to 12' walls, I could put in an 10' 6" door.

The lumber yard did explain their self though.  The jist is that lumber is going up.  He has some current price 2x6x12's that are cheaper than the future price 2x6x10's.  Since I was quoting about 100 ten footers, he would have to order them in.  If I quoted 100 twelve footers, I'd get future price on those too, and it would likely be higher.
Okay, central MS helps. Wouldn't taller be cooler in summer? What's the normal way of keeping a building like yours from becoming an oven?
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
(03-09-2017, 05:24 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: Okay, central MS helps. Wouldn't taller be cooler in summer? What's the normal way of keeping a building like yours from becoming an oven?

The normal way is a few tons of air conditioning. My 20x40 shop has 2 tons and it's not enough and it's well insulated. Course it's hotter here tthan MS but it's more humid there but it isn't dry here either. 
        I would much rather live in a colder climate as its way easier and cheaper to heat than it is to cool. The very old rule was it takes 3x the energy to cool than it does to heat.
Odd size....10'-10" walls. Good enough for me.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I would love to have height for a car lift.  Of course, getting a car back to a building in my back yard in the rainforest of Central Pennsylvania is a questionalbe activity at best.  Might have to put in one of those permeable driveways
One thing I like about the 12 foot ceilings is I was able to put in a 20 foot steel beam near the ceiling. I could back my truck in and llift anything out with the chain hoist. Very handy to have a lifting beam. I unloaded some very heavy machines and lumber with that beam.
I used to farm and built my barn. I dug a pit and lined it with block. Pit was 8'-0 long , 6'-6" deep and 3'-0 wide.
Floor was pea stone. I had 3 steel plates various lengths 3/4" thick and cut to 4-4" wide. Hand holds were 1/2" holes with cable looped thru and connected below. Cheaper than a lift and took up no room. The steel plate was same height as the floor slab. When in use the plates were pulled out of the way and a vehicle or tractor driven over the pit.
mike