Craftsman Saw Recall
FYI if you own one of these...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017.../98899264/
The whole saw retracts, not just the blade?  
Slap
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
If a running table saw tips over, or falls down;  I don't think I would try to catch it! I also think that there must be many more cases of the stand collapsing than the 11 reported.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(03-08-2017, 10:21 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: If a running table saw tips over, or falls down;  I don't think I would try to catch it! I also think that there must be many more cases of the stand collapsing than the 11 reported.

Exactly. Seems every recall they say there have only been a handful of incidents reported... Well that's not enough to constitute constitute a recall. So those reported incident numbers have to be fake numbers ad really much higher otherwise it doesn't pass the sniff test. Course how many times have we all run into into a problem with a product and the company says we haven't received any complaints about that.... however you easily find no end of the same complaint with a quick web search. 

Also makes you wonder how many actual reports there are on other products...
(03-09-2017, 07:12 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: Exactly. Seems every recall they say there have only been a handful of incidents reported... Well that's not enough to constitute constitute a recall. So those reported incident numbers have to be fake numbers ad really much higher otherwise it doesn't pass the sniff test.

That may not always be true. The company I used to work for recalled 35,000 parts and replaced them when we had a grand total of TWO (yes, only two) failures in the field. The cost of that was over $80 million dollars!
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
I'm amazed they sold 46,000 of them
(03-09-2017, 02:45 PM)Brian in sunny FL Wrote: I'm amazed they sold 46,000 of them

Same here. Funny thing is I was just in sears today.. It seems the black and decker buying the name may have been more than what it seems.. Almost all of the tools in the machine tool section were gone. Only the 14" bandsaw and a few mmiter saws were left.  I have $22 is free money they gave me to spend and I don't have have a clue what to use it on...  Have gotten allot of nearly free stuff from them and it's no wonder it's sinking.
I stay away from Craftsman now, period. Be it hand or power tool. About 6 months ago my 35 year old Craftsman 10" radial armsaw motor died. I was crushed. 

I took the saw apart, buried the motor in our back yard in the pet cemetary, along with the dogs, hamsters, rats, gerbils that croaked over the many years.

May it rest in peace. Last power Craftsman I had.....
Sad part is they drove off so many customers over the years and what's worse is that the table saws(orion/steel coty), bandsaws(Rikon with more re saw capacity), jointer and routers sold over the last 7 or so years are the best they have ever had. But most were burned too badly and wouldn't look at their stuff.   

But if they keep giving out free $ I'll use it to buy something there...
I'll bet they made more money off of the "no questions asked" warranty than they lost. When they started moving away from that, they were dead, the tools just weren't that good.  I think I've spent money in there once since they sold out to kmart, that was the most ridiculous thing an MBA has ever done -- which is saying something.

As far as reports go, I'll bet only the people interested in suing and that got injured reported the incident.  Most people that got injured probably felt it was their own stupid fault and just let it go.  The people that had the saw collapse without injury probably just started thinking how they could fix the saw, not about reporting it. 

I used to be the support engineer on a part that could potentially kill pilots and failed all the time, but people never reported it, they just ordered a new  part.  Drove me nuts.   Turns out that reporting the problem is a good thing, at least as far as this engineer is concerned.  It's a lot harder to do anything unless the bosses are seeing complaints.  I bet this is even more true on commercial items like the saw