Blum hinge screws question
Ugh. Installing Blum 110° Soft-Close Clip-Top Hinges, which I have never had a problem with before. These are the half-overlay style. I am using the supplied screws.

On the face frame side, I drilled pilot holes using a template I made, waxed the screws, screwed them in gently, removed them and then installed the hinge pieces. The first 7 sets went fine. On the 8th door, the screw holes stripped out big time after I loosened them to make an adjustment. I'll patch the holes and try again, but...

1. What is the correct size pilot drill? I guessed at 7/64 (standard for #8). Go smaller?

2. Anyone know the size and type of screw? I want to order extras, probably longer than the supplied ones, from McMaster. If anyone knows the specs that would be extremely helpful. It's a specific head type that has to fit a groove in the hinge. (Blum help desk is closed on weekends, by the way!)

3. Any other suggestions?

[EDIT] well at least I know what happened. Template was a little too wide for that stile, and it rode up on a piece of scribe. Doh! Still would like the answers if anyone knows.

Thanks everyone!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Are you using the #7 screw?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-11-2017, 02:02 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Are you using the #7 screw?

I don't know. How can I find out? I have screw thread checkers for machine screws but not wood screws.

Whatever it is, it's what came in the package with the hinges.

Thanks!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

The screws that attach the hinge to the door are normally 6x 5/8"  .   The screws to attach the mounting plates are 6,7, or 8 depending on the plate.   This LINK will take you to cshardware's site, go down the page  and you will see downloads,  that will open a pdf from Blum with all their mounding plates and what screw they use.  Roly
(03-11-2017, 02:51 PM)Roly Wrote: The screws that attach the hinge to the door are normally 6x 5/8"  .   The screws to attach the mounting plates are 6,7, or 8 depending on the plate.   This LINK will take you to cshardware's site, go down the page  and you will see downloads,  that will open a pdf from Blum with all their mounding plates and what screw they use.  Roly

Perfect, thank you!
Best,
Aram, always learning

Make sure you are using a posi-drive bit, Blum screws are not Phillips.

Ed
Ditto the pozi drive. Also If you strip it out you can drill drill a 5mm hole and use the 5mm screws that are made for the euro cabinet applications. I prefer using them myself. Or you can also use the expanding  plastic inserts as well.