Finger joints..
Give little kids a ball and a yard, and they'll invent a game, or just run around with the ball. Ask them why are they running around, and you'll get a lot of bewildered looks.

I've always wondered how hard it would be to cut box joints by hand. I've never been interested enough to find out. I think it's cool that the OP did, for any reason -- or no reason at all, except just to find out.

Sometimes you just try things. I don't see what this has to do with dovetails, or power tools!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
So true Aram! And, why carve up a post to make drawers? 

Actually, don't dovetails for infill planes start out cut like box joints? I've considered doing the same with wood ... Start with sloppy cuts and peen the crap out of the ends like the pros do for tight joints. They even add wedges to dovetail joints. We could have a new class of DT's, Pein-wedged Tails and Pins. Peened Wedgies, for short.

Thanks, Bandit'!
Hoping to glue that box up...sometime today.    Might not see much, as there will be a "forest of clamps" in the way.

box joints, finger joints, dovetails......all depends on the layout.    I tend to use the finger joints for thin stock.    I can use the dovetails once things get thicker than 1/2" or so.   When I  made a replacement wood box for the Stanley 45,  I used the same joints Stanley used on the original box.    Of course, that may have been "dated design"  as the plane and box were from the 1920s SW era.....
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Well, inorder to clamp the box up, I needed to completely clean off the bench..

And this is where 90% of the work gets done in the shop.    But...

There isn't much room to do a glue up in.    BTW: The Boss has vetoed using the Dinning Room table for this....

Inside that forest of clamps...

There lives a box made of Pine.   Will let this set a day.....and take the rest of the day off
Big Grin
Since then....
Box came out of the glue up decent enough, had a small piece break off from the bottom edge..

Good thing I already had set up the Stanley  45

To match where I needed one more groove milled.   

Because once the repair was done, and cleaned up, I set up the box in the leg vise,  with a couple helpers to hold it still.

Plane was to run the 45  all the way  around, stopping just short of cutting through to the offset groove on the inside. 

Once the groove was done, I could separate the lid from the box, using a sharp knife.....

And...right about here, the batteries in the camera died.....think I had more upstairs?    Nope, usual luck...

Anyway, I used a shoulder plane to thing the lip on the box, until the lid fit down perfect....at least for this shop.  Have the small brass hinges installed, and a latch.   When I get a few new batteries, I post a few more PIPs
Ok, after all that trouble.....got the box somewhat presentable for Polite Company...
Winkgrin

Repaired end..

When you open the lid, you'll find the lip that seals things up.    Had to thin the lip a bit, using an old shoulder plane. 

Close the lid to show off the front, with the latch..

The end that didn't need repaired, and  saving the best view for last..

Not too bad, for a plywood panel?    Haven't decided what to use this box for...yet.    Almost too nice to be a tool box?
Looks great! That was a lot of hand work.  You could fit it out for chisels or other tools that shouldn't be loose on the bench.