Vise repair
I acquired this vise with an outstanding issue--it was missing its collar. That is an important piece because it keeps the leadscrew in place. Without it, the leadscrew just screws out of the vise. The previous owner used a bolt to capture the leadscrew.

[Image: DSCN2396.jpg]

But it is a nice vise and in pretty good shape for its age (150yrs +). It is an early Parker with patent dates stamped on the jaws.

[Image: DSCN2397.jpg]

The collar geometry is complex and I used some tinfoil to make a mould.

[Image: DSCN2399.jpg]

This is what I need to replicate in wood.

[Image: DSCN2400.jpg]

The prototype in soft pine fit pretty well.

[Image: DSCN2401.jpg]

Here is the walnut collar.

[Image: DSCN2404.jpg]

I used my Japanese chisels, mostly the gouge to make the piece. I cut the prototype a little small and did not want to make the same mistake with the walnut piece. So I cut it proud and then cut a shallow dado on the top for an exact fit. And fit it did! It fit so tight that it got stuck.

I painted it to match the vise and installed it tonight. Looks pretty good at a distance.

[Image: DSCN2411.jpg]

I guess a piece of machined brass would make a more substantial collar. But I am a woodworker. The walnut works well. Time will tell if it holds up.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Jim -

Do you know what the original collar was made of?  Just curious -

Phil
I am pretty sure the original was cast iron.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Nice job great save!
Over on Old Woodworking Machines, the community makes frequent use of a foundry named Cattail, which does one-off casting very affordably, it seems (I've yet to use them, although one of my projects on the list calls for their skills).

Info:
Cattail is a Amish ran foundry that runs as a sideline business to their farming operations. The specialize in gray iron and aluminum castings for steam hobbyist but will be glad to make OWWM parts as well. Since they are Amish, contacting them electronically or even by phones can be complicated. They do have a phone number that will allow you to leave a message and they will call you back, but don't expect anybody to actually answer (it is worth calling just to listen to the recording on the answering machine!) Most OWWM'ers will simply box up the part or pattern they need to have reproduced and mail it to them. Typically, six to eight weeks later, you will get your pattern and new castings back in a box with an invoice. They do excellent work and are very reasonable in price.

Cattail Foundry
Emanuel J. King
167 W. Cattail Road
Gordonville, PA 17529
(717) 768-7323
Thanks Bill. That is a good source.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com