portable generator wiring
I bought the two twist plugs and made my own cord using #10 wire,only needed 6'.Didn't want to spend the money on a 25' cord,which was all I could find.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Here is the wiring diagramof the generator I was using. I can't tell if the two 120V outlets are out of phase or not. The diagram is on page 26.
The 120/240v selector switch is drawn in the 120v only position.   The two main windings are placed in parallel by the switch.  Both halves of the 120v receptacle are in phase.   Also note B1 on the 120/240v receptacle has no voltage to it with the switch in the position drawn.    When the switch is placed in the 240v position the windings are placed in series.   Now the 120v duplex receptacle has opposite legs on it.  Also B1 is now energized on the 120/240v receptacle.     The small dot on the main winding indicate a polarity mark.    Roly
Thanks. I can see that now.
Forgot to add when in the 120v position the full generator output is available on one leg of the 30a twist-lock receptacle.  (also to top half of 120v receptacle) The only reason for this is if you have a single 120v load in excess of 13.5 amps.    Still don't understand why it would not work  with the transfer switch unless it tried to pick up too much load at once or back feeding into the utility system.   Roly