ripping oak posts
Looking for advise on how to rip red oak posts.

I am an not a professional woodworker by any means but I have some woodworking experience.

My project is (Oak bed).
I have large red oak posts, they vary from 6x4 to 3.5x3.5 thick, some as long as 9' all rough cut and dried. I want to rip them down to 3.125 posts for the bed.

I don't think my tablesaw is powerful enough, plus max cut is 3.5". It is a Rigid 10". And I do have a planer to get it to the exact size.

What is recommended for this? Band saw? How big to handle this thickness?

any help is appreciated

Mike in Minnesota
i would get it close on the bandsaw.  Then use a planer sled (google this, easy to make) to finish it up.  

What you're looking for is to get one perfect 90* edge, so you can use the table saw/or planer if you want, to take both of the opposing faces down to final dimension.
That is kind of the way I was leaning.
Do you think a table-top bandsaw could handle this? I have a 9" but I was wondering if I would need a larger saw for this.
I don't work much with the band saw, but my smaller one is newer and blades are sharp. I think I have a 1/4 inch blade not sure if it will take a 1/2".

Also, yes I was planning on getting it to a workable size say within 1/8 inch the planing it down to my final 3.125" size posts.

thanks
Chalk line after you inspect to make sure you have good wood of sufficient dimension to one side.  Hot glue tack to a smooth piece of whatever so you won't get hung somewhere in the middle, and cut the line on the bandsaw.  Run the new face on the jointer for planar and make your 90 on the jointer to have a sound wood post. 

Snap your new lines about 1/4 greater in both dimensions and saw.  Relax for three-six days, re-sight, re-join for your good faces and take off the waste.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(03-14-2017, 10:30 AM)mikeminn221 Wrote: That is kind of the way I was leaning.
Do you think a table-top bandsaw could handle this? I have a 9" but I was wondering if I would need a larger saw for this.
I don't work much with the band saw, but my smaller one is newer and blades are sharp. I think I have a 1/4 inch blade not sure if it will take a 1/2".

Also, yes I was planning on getting it to a workable size say within 1/8 inch the planing it down to my final 3.125" size posts.

thanks

Would be a challenge for a benchtop bandsaw.  Particularly because the weight of the wood would cause it to maybe tip over, or whatever if not properly bolted down.  But re-sawing 6" oak it would struggle mightily, if it would even fit under the guides.

with that being the case, I would consider a planer sled for all of this... Only downside there is that's  alot of passes and material to remove without sawing off the waste first.
That is what I was wondering.

I just cut a 12" piece of the oak.
Tried to run it through my table top 9" 1/3 hp bandsaw. That is a no-go. It got about 5-6" and the saw stopped.

So, I have a line on an older 12" 1/2 HP, I can probably get it for $125, do you think that would be enough to do the job?
Not sure if that is enough of an upgrade (motor wise). Other then that I don't have the cash for a major investment in larger bandsaw.

Or do I just suck it up. trim length closer to what I need, do like for-mentioned and just start planing?

thanks for all you advise
You also have to use the right bandsaw blade for the job; this type of rip I'm thinking 3pti or at most 4pti.  Half horse motor would be slow, but doable with the right blade.  As far as the 12" saw you are thinking of buying, again, how stout is it?  Look for a 14" Delta clone on CL, they come up from time to time in that price range.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Give us an idea of where you live and you might find a neighbor Woodnetter with a big bandsaw, etc.

Lots of us out here that love to help fellow 'netters.
Cool
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
BS 1/2" blade with 3 TPI set for ripping. You will do better with that blade having it made for you, cause it likely won't come on a blister card.

These guys can make you one for a reasonable price
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I am liking the idea of using someone else's saw.
I have a buddy here at work that use have his own cabinet shop, I'm thinking he will maybe help me out.

thanks to everyone

Oh, I am located in the north burbs of the Twin-Cities, Minnesota