Refreshing Arm-R-Seal Finish
Is there an easy way to repair/refresh the surface of something that's been finished with Arm-R-Seal?

A couple of years ago, I built a wedding canopy for my daughter's wedding and finished it with several coats of Arm-R-Seal.  Another family member is getting married and asked to use it, but I would like to repair/refresh the surface.

When I originally built it, the timing was tight and the Arm-R-Seal didn't have a chance to cure before the wedding.  Since it was assembled and disassembled on site, the pieces were handled a lot (and roughly) and have some scratches and other small imperfections in the finish.  

I think that I could sand out all the scratches and imperfections with 220 grit paper and wondered if I could then just add another coat (or 2) of Arm-R-Seal.  Will that work?  Or is it too late because the old finish has already cured?  It's not bad enough to justify removing the old finish.

Thanks,

Steve
Your plan is good Steve.  Feather out the scratches, scuff sand the whole thing, and wipe on your new coats of Arm-R-Seal.  It will bond fine. 

John
Much appreciated John.  I wasn't sure if the fact that it has cured would make a difference.  This time it's going to cure before it gets used!

This was the first project on which I ever used Arm-R-Seal and would have never gotten done without your advice back then.  It's not my favorite finish.

It's also the first time I ever used Charles Neil's blotch control stuff since I was using GF dye stain on cherry.

Thanks again.

Steve
What is it you don't like about Arm-R-Seal?  Not defending it, just curious.  

John
At first I didn't know what you were talking about and then I saw my typo and laughed.  It was supposed to read "It's NOW my favorite finish."  There was a little learning curve, but it was pretty quick.  The finish always looks amazing, especially if it's rubbed out after the stuff cures.  I have used different abrasives to rub it out and my favorite are the Abralon pads - I think they're used for bowling balls.  I have them running from 500 to 4000 grit and they're perfect. Certainly a lot less mess than pumice and rottenstone. 

Steve
Ha, that's a good one.  I really like ARS, too.  I have to admit, however, that it was a real challenge to apply it to a large kitchen island counter top I made a couple years ago.  The only way I could get it on uniformly was to thin it about 25% with mineral spirits and apply it with a foam brush.  When I did that it was perfect.  For smaller projects I'm OK wiping it on straight from the can. 

I also like the Abralon pads for rubbing it out; it couldn't be much easier.  My only complaint about them is they don't last long.  3M's Trizac disks are far better in that regard, and you can get them for a ROS, too.

Good luck with the repairs.

John
Thanks John,

I have never tried Trizact discs but will definitely give them a shot.  I don't do near as much as you do, so I still have some Abralon pads left.  But they are expensive.  

Off topic, but the Abralon pads work amazingly well for making the Greene and Greene style ebony "pillows" shine.  I had chucked the ebony into a drill to shape them with sandpaper.  When I got close, I switched to the Abralon pads and the surface is flawless.