Not too happy with my local Woodcraft store
(03-18-2017, 10:03 PM)packerguy® Wrote: There is a ton of woodworking stores around here.....3 rocklers, 1 woodcraft, 3 harbor freights, an acme tools, not to mention a number of used tool shops and a fantastic commercial hardwood dealer...just to name a few all within 25 miles from me. 

We are woodworking rich. 
Crazy

Yeah but Cali has those beaches, and all that sunshine, well and all those crazy folks tooo, but they are sort of a woodworkers desert. It is nice living where the trees are
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(03-19-2017, 02:27 PM)Steve N Wrote: Yeah but Cali has those beaches, and all that sunshine, well and all those crazy folks tooo, but they are sort of a woodworkers desert. It is nice living where the trees are
Big Grin

Not to mention lots of $$$ there as well.
(03-19-2017, 06:24 AM)KyleD Wrote: Hey all you cry babies-Boo-Hoo.  You could be in my location were the nearest woodworking store is 10 hours away. On the plus side I have one of the original Tool Crib of the North stores in town 
Yes

Well you do live in N Dakota too. Think maybe that factors in there somehow? I was there for 5 days once opening a K-Mart. It was going to be THEEE big feature in the town we were in, not even a pizza place. I had never contemplated the word desolate much before that trip
Big Grin Wanna say it was Devils Lake?

GW
"Not to mention lots of $$$ there as well."

--Robert Adams

Speaking as a former resident (1967-2001), there is 'lotsa' money because everything costs so much as well....
Even with $$$$$ Woodworking as a whole is sort of a fail there, unless you are a hardcore woodworker, but you are still pretty much alone, so with a huge population, still not much woodworking interest. "Thee Woodworking Shows" dropped their Cali shows, they are all about $$$$$$ if they, and their vendors aren't making it, they will not darken your door anymore. So those riche folks were not spending it evidently.

GW
(03-18-2017, 11:37 PM)joespehar Wrote: Not really going to comment on the Woodcraft stores, but their router bits really aren't that bad.

I agree. I have a couple of those green WC bits. One, a large edge bit. Don't use the router daily, but I have no complaints.
Ag
(03-19-2017, 03:39 PM),AgGEM Wrote: I agree. I have a couple of those green WC bits. One, a large edge bit. Don't use the router daily, but I have no complaints.
Ag

I feel the same way. I have Freud and WS bits. But for plywood, mdf , jigs etc why use real $$ router bits. I have a bunch of WC green bits and for the $$ they work just fine.

I guess the whole reason I started this post was to vent my frustration on what I see this store turning into.

Until I retire I'm just a winter weekend woodworker. I buy high quality when I need to, but for the most part middle of the road things will do me.

The way this store is going, middle of the road will be a thing of the past.

Jim
-- jbmaine
(03-19-2017, 03:39 PM)AgGEM Wrote: I agree. I have a couple of those green WC bits. One, a large edge bit. Don't use the router daily, but I have no complaints.
Ag

Same here. Bought a bunch of them when they first came out for $5 each cause well they were $5. I have gotten much more use out of them then I ever thought. I have a couple left that are rare use ones for me but I wish I had been able to get more of the big straight cut bits they had.
The problem with woodworking stores in general is the customer base tends to be an older crowd. Think fixed income with lots of time on their hands. That makes the customer frugal, and willing to wait for a better deal. Also the same person who typically into woodworking is also the same customer that would rather fix than replace. Both are bad for specialty retail store... Also, woodcraft/rockler both tend to a retail customer... The real money in woodworking is in the commercial environment. Quite frankly I have no idea how any of them are even in business anymore with the online competition being so fierce.
Well, Bye...
Jim

I would give a call to the main woodcraft store and I know they would love to hear of your problem with them.

(304) 485-4050

I have talked to them many times and they always listen and act on what I asked
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.