Not too happy with my local Woodcraft store
This is what I do and don't....

when going to a wood/tool supply store....

I do not go to a Woodcraft or Rockler type store. Too pricy. too clean,  "know it all"   ( I would go to Highland Hardware, but don't want to fly across the country for a vix bit)

I go to a tool store that looks like a tornado hit the place inside. If I can't find what I am looking for, I ask, and usually get a quality item. They can find it, I can't sometimes.

And it has the good "smell" about it. 

And there is always the Internet if you want to wait a few days. But compare the prices before you order. And research.
(03-23-2017, 03:39 PM)jbmaine Wrote: On a side note, on my first visit to Rockler they had a pallet of what they called Rustic BW for 5.99$ a BF. A few days later WC had a pallet of BW. they didn't call it rustic but it sure looked the same. It was 8$ a BF.

I hardly ever buy wood from WC or Rockler.  Way overpriced for flat stock.  Every once in a blue moon, Rockler has sales on smaller sizes of BB ply that are attractive.  I do buy bowl blanks at either store.  Sometimes the prices on-line for bowl blanks can get just as pricey when you add shipping.  Otherwise, it's far cheaper for me to truck over to any one of half a dozen legitimate lumber suppliers which have more diverse, more quantity, and better quality stock.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-27-2017, 06:28 PM)AHill Wrote: I hardly ever buy wood from WC or Rockler.  Way overpriced for flat stock.  Every once in a blue moon, Rockler has sales on smaller sizes of BB ply that are attractive.  I do buy bowl blanks at either store.  Sometimes the prices on-line for bowl blanks can get just as pricey when you add shipping.  Otherwise, it's far cheaper for me to truck over to any one of half a dozen legitimate lumber suppliers which have more diverse, more quantity, and better quality stock.

I usually don't either, but on the urging of my wife I bought a board of 4/4 BW milled on all four sides for 5.99 a BF. Not the best but it had ok color and grain. Down the street a hardwood dealer was selling 4/4 rough BW for 9.99 a BF. I figured for what it was the price was ok.

Jim
-- jbmaine
It's extremely odd, and it's not been the case elsewhere I've lived, but my local woodcraft actually has decent prices in lumber. Not sawmill cheap certainly but cheap enough that you don't feel the need for Vaseline after you buy it. It's cheap enough that I'll buy some when I just need a couple boards for a small project and I chalk the little premium up to the price of convenience.
-Marc

Bear with me folks, my first WoodNet post.

I am located in Los Angeles. My shop puts me about 45 minutes from two Rockler stores. One is in Pasadena (to my east), the other in Torrance (to my south). They both have a very different feel to them. I prefer the Torrance store due to some personal relationships with their guys but have nothing against the other.

I am also 45 minutes away from my nearest Woodcraft (to my north), which is the aforementioned Ventura store. Those guys are pretty friendly and the store is usually well stocked. They have a space in back where you can take a class or two if you like.

All three stores are staffed by people with more equipment/inventory knowledge than my local Lowes or Home Depot, which I frequent enough to know guys on a first-name basis. What I get from Rockler and Woodcraft is a level of expertise worth the drive for. The people at the box stores are hit or miss.

I am old enough to appreciate and recognize (aka pay for) the added value of someone who's been there and can explain why this is better than that.
Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy, that doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.
www.WestHillsWood.com
www.HOPublishing.com
FACEBOOK: #WoodShopWednesday
Hey OP,
The salesman came up to you and talked to you once. It is kind of implied that if you need more help, you will seek him out.
Lots of customers get annoyed if the salesman approaches more than once. I do not think it is a valid complaint that he did not come back and check on you,
especially since the store did not have what you wanted and you made that clear.

It is not about Woodcraft trying to force people to buy high end stuff. They probably figured out that they can not compete at the low end of router bits with all the online vendors.   If I remember, the house brand bits were about $10, sometimes on sale for about $5.. They did not cut so well, I tried a few.
How are they supposed to compete with ebay and all the other companies selling cheap bits? Also, I am sure people complained that they bought these house bits and they were not particularly great.. It was a smart move to discontinue those bits and use that shelf space for something different. 

Next time, remember that the clerk has dealt with difficult customers all day, and when they get a customer that comes in and says "Well, how about you sell me the rest for half off".. they are not going to find that funny. They hear that all day, every day.
(03-27-2017, 10:15 AM)nvrkjoyce Wrote: I go to a tool store that looks like a tornado hit the place inside.

And it has the good "smell" about it. 

Sounds like you are a Harbor Freight frequenter
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Harold, nice post.
Big Grin

Welcome to Woodnet.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I had a similar situation near me, the local woodcraft was about 15 minutes out of my way driving to and from work, but the employees were basically rude and lazy. The store was owned by an absentee owner. Managers didn't last long, the owner didn't seem to give the manager much control. I spoke to the owner about it once and he was polite, he agreed that the two employees I told him about were long term problems, but he didn't seem to care about the store.  There is another woodcraft about an hour away in New Castle, Delaware so I drove up there to look at a jointer they had on sale. What a difference in how they operate and conduct themselves. I began to shop there instead. Each franchise is different and the difference is the quality of management.

I go there when I need items for a project like drawer slides, quality hardware and certain tools. I usually take a friend or two. Several years ago my local store closed and I wasn't surprised, other woodworkers I've spoken to also found it's service lacking. If the employee told me that Woodriver router bits were only good for a few cuts, I'd ask why they ever carried them, I'd also know that isn't true because I own and have used many. I would understand that they can't afford to carry too many lines of inventory, or if they said Freud has a better selection, bang for your buck, but saying we sold junk before really isn't a good answer. Good customer service will make or break a store.  

Paul Mitzel
(04-11-2017, 09:01 AM)PaulM85 Wrote:  There is another woodcraft about an hour away in New Castle, Delaware so I drove up there to look at a jointer they had on sale. What a difference in how they operate....

Paul Mitzel

I have stopped there a few times while passing through. Good store, in my opinion.
Ag