Not too happy with my local Woodcraft store
At least you guys have stores to complain about.

I've got nothing like a Woodcraft or Rockler within an hours drive.

No

Ed
I shop at 2 WC both locally owned and separate, but the owners work at the store, one in Milwaukee and one in Appleton, WI, some times I notice inventory on small stuff low but CS is above average. The one here in Milw had one off there older fathers working at it on weekends, he was a PITA do to some memory,dementia issues. I mentioned it to the owners, I am sure they saw/knew it too, he is no longer there as far as I know.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(03-18-2017, 11:14 AM)jbmaine Wrote: My local Woodcraft is only a couple of minutes from work. Real nice to stop over on my way home.

The change to the new software here deleted everyone's location information.

Where is your local Woodcraft?

The WC in Norfolk VA is anywhere from a 20min to a 2hr drive for me depending on traffic and whether or not there are any accidents in the bridge-tunnel area. The couple that own that franchise are active woodworkers (they are both excellent turners and he is almost done rebuiding a Chris Craft Runabout) and they spend lots of time at the store. Rhet host the monthly meetings for both the local woodworking club and the woodturning club. They also have woodworking outreach efforts for vets and for women. They typically have 4-5 classes a week that are taught by either employees or a member of one of the 2 clubs. There is also an occasional out of town instructor. I have taken classes there from Alan Lacer and from Richard Raffin.

Their staff are good and they are well enough trained that they will call over a different employee if you have a question that they do not really know the answer to.

It seems like the only person they have truly ticked off if LOML because of some miss-communication between the staff.  As a result, I only got b'day presents from there once.
Sigh

The brand of drill bits that the owner used to swear by for drilling pen blanks got phased out there. I believe that that change of brand was beyond the control of the local store. I did do well stocking up during the closeout of that brand, though.

On the other hand, they do stock some high end woodturning tools that are not offered on the WC website. They do not keep many in stock, but they are higher end and relatively low turn over items.

The also give discounts to club members on meeting night and to students after a class.

The onlu other WC that I have visited was the one in Tampa. I stopped in because of the big promotional ad about their close-out sale on their website. It was false advertising. The employees pretty much could not have cared less if the nephew-in-law or I were in the store. They were busy talking to each other and leaning on the counter. The classroom was dinky, poorly equipped, and dingy.

The Rockler store in Denver looked interesting as I cut through for a woodturning club meeting in their basement. Their meeting room and their classroom were both excellent. The store showroom seemed a bit small but densely stocked.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Woodcraft and other stores are catering more and more to the retirement market which are getting into woodworking in increasing numbers and they have money to spend. So you will be seeing more high end style stuff there though imo many of those so called high end products aren't special at all. There are lots of brands that are good quality and value but retail is finneky  about what they sell and how they want to be perceived. 

I really see an opening for a average guy woodworking supply that doesn't sell junk but isn't only going to carry the top brand or overpriced because of name brand regular stuff. I do miss the company that used to sell at the ww shows. He had reasonable prices good selection and much of his stuff was the same as others just without a name brand. The company folded when he passed away and I can't remember the name.
(03-18-2017, 04:43 PM)packerguy® Wrote: ... I hate the 40 minute drive vs 5 minutes to Rockler.....

You are lucky to have one that close! The nearest Woodcraft to me is 94 miles, and the nearest Rockler is 75 miles away.  There isn't a single lumber supplier here outside of construction lumber.  I, for one, am grateful there are online sources and resources like WoodNet to give me an idea of what works and what doesn't so I don't waste a trip.  I'll say the Woodcraft in Ventura is great, with knowledgeable staff and lots of classes.  The Rockler is OK, but the drive isn't as scenic.  If I go to Ventura, I can also go to the beach.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-18-2017, 05:22 PM)EdL Wrote: At least you guys have stores to complain about.

I've got nothing like a Woodcraft or Rockler within an hours drive.

No

Ed

There is always this side of the coin and I agree.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(03-18-2017, 08:17 PM)AHill Wrote: You are lucky to have one that close! The nearest Woodcraft to me is 94 miles, and the nearest Rockler is 75 miles away.  There isn't a single lumber supplier here outside of construction lumber.  I, for one, am grateful there are online sources and resources like WoodNet to give me an idea of what works and what doesn't so I don't waste a trip.  I'll say the Woodcraft in Ventura is great, with knowledgeable staff and lots of classes.  The Rockler is OK, but the drive isn't as scenic.  If I go to Ventura, I can also go to the beach.

There is a ton of woodworking stores around here.....3 rocklers, 1 woodcraft, 3 harbor freights, an acme tools, not to mention a number of used tool shops and a fantastic commercial hardwood dealer...just to name a few all within 25 miles from me. 

We are woodworking rich. 
Crazy

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Not really going to comment on the Woodcraft stores, but their router bits really aren't that bad.
Hey all you cry babies-Boo-Hoo.  You could be in my location were the nearest woodworking store is 10 hours away. On the plus side I have one of the original Tool Crib of the North stores in town 
Yes
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(03-18-2017, 09:58 PM)packerguy® Wrote: There is always this side of the coin and I agree.
 Tell me about it.  Not a single one of either in the state of Louisiana.