Broken Plane Iron
Was working with my 102 today and it slipped out of my had and met the concrete floor.  I quickly retrieved it and inspected the body.  No damage.  Went to take another swipe and no shaving.  I thought maybe the iron had backed out with the fall as I was taking a very light cut.  I took the cap off and found my iron in two pieces!

[Image: IMAG0718_zpsrnov96rz.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0719_1_zpsoouxoimd.jpg]

As you can see from the end shot, it looks to me like the bright part looks like a new break, but half of it appears old with "patina" .  I'm wondering if the iron already had a hairline fracture halfway across before hand causing it to finish breaking with this drop ...

I guess I'm on the hunt for a new 102 iron now!
~ Chris
Bummer!  But as you show, it's been on the way out for a while.  Is there enough of the blade left to be re-ground into a useful blade or will it end up too short?  Not sure how hard it is to find a blade to fit a 102, but if the old blade can be made to work, it'll get you back in action until a replacement can be found.
Ooff. Yes it's been cracked for a long time.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Great thought Phil,  I checked and it is about 1/4" too short to be useable after regrinding.
~ Chris
(03-18-2017, 01:52 PM)cwarner Wrote: Great thought Phil,  I checked and it is about 1/4" too short to be useable after regrinding.

Curt, what are dimensions of the iron, I have a box full of irons somewhere and might have one.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Rich,

The blade is 1 11/32" wide, 1/16" thick and mine was 4" long before breaking.  Just a plane blade with no grooves in the back like a 60 1/2 blade has.
~ Chris
JB weld, some 60 grit sand paper, and a litttle elbow grease and it will look like new.  

Look like new, not work like new.
Big Grin
I'll check my stash as well. Probably won't get there until Monday, though.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
I see some 102 irons on eBay for <$10 Buy-it-now.  Lie Nielsen also has irons for their version of the 102, but they're twice as thick and a lot more expensive.  Don't know if they'd fit a Stanley or not.
Thanks for checking Dave.   I did think about JB weld as a quick fix, and I may expirement still with it.

Phil, I did notice the LN ones but wasn't sure if the thicker blade would work.
~ Chris