Moving bandsaw?
Hey everyone. I know this has been covered before, but my searches are failing me. Remind me the way to pack a large bandsaw for a long distance move? I have a MiniMax MM16, no small machine. Do I remember correctly that you should remove the table and lay the saw on its spine? Do you rig of some kind of trolley on casters?

Thanks!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
When we moved mine (not as far...maybe 175 miles) we left the table on, and a blade under tension (scrap blade). Then just as you said, wee laid it on it's spine. In my case we screwed blocking to the floor of the trailer to keep it from sliding, and used a few heavy ratchet straps to keep it from tipping sideways. Worked very well. The only problem I encountered was that while we had 3 folks to lay it down, there was only me when I got to my house...had to ask #1 grandson to help me stand it back it. Then I discovered there are holes in the top of the frame specifically there to use load straps to lift it; had I known that I could have used my engine hoist to stand it up. If you think you need a rolling base (mine had casters installed on it) you could get one of the furniture dollies at HF, they are rated for 1000#, and while that may be an exaggeration I know they will easily support the 5-600 of the MM16. You could screw to the dolly if needed.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
My new Grizzly 17" arrived with the table on and a blade on the wheels and under tension.  It came standing up on a pallet with a flimsy but apparently adequate crate.  IMO you could move the saw either lying on its spine or standing up.  I'd choose based on whichever is easier and safer under your particular circumstances.  Getting it on/off the truck or trailer is the hardest part.  If pros are making the move for you then they'll know how to get it up on the truck, with a word or two of caution by you to make sure they understand any do's and don't's.   If you are moving yourself then you may find lying it down on its spine the easier approach because you can slide it up to the truck/trailer standing up, and then tip it in and onto its spine.  That's how I brought mine through my kitchen door en route to the basement. 

John
(03-19-2017, 06:46 AM)fredhargis Wrote: When we moved mine (not as far...maybe 175 miles) we left the table on, and a blade under tension (scrap blade). Then just as you said, wee laid it on it's spine. In my case we screwed blocking to the floor of the trailer to keep it from sliding, and used a few heavy ratchet straps to keep it from tipping sideways. Worked very well. The only problem I encountered was that while we had 3 folks to lay it down, there was only me when I got to my house...had to ask #1 grandson to help me stand it back it. Then I discovered there are holes in the top of the frame specifically there to use load straps to lift it; had I known that I could have used my engine hoist to stand it up. If you think you need a rolling base (mine had casters installed on it) you could get one of the furniture dollies at HF, they are rated for 1000#, and while that may be an exaggeration I know they will easily support the 5-600 of the MM16. You could screw to the dolly if needed.

I offered, but you said you had it.
Raised

Yeah, my Rikon 18 was standing up straight on a flimsy pallet which actually broke apart while unloading. blade on, tensioned. Also turned into small pieces of metal for shims, small saws, a few went to scratch stock use, but trashed as it had kinked in the guides. Saw was fine though.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
My Laguna saw came standing up. My MM 20 came on its back on a skid. Like John said  either will work fine as long as it is secured so it will not fall over. down.
LIL Thanks everyone.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I moved my mm20 upright. Took table off. It was a bear putting back on. Remember the rotations of the bolts if you do that.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(03-19-2017, 10:41 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: I moved my mm20 upright. Took table off. It was a bear putting back on. Remember the  rotations of the bolts if you do that.
Dang. That's an even bigger chunk of iron than mine. What did you load it onto (what kind of vehicle) and how did you get it on and off, if you don't mind me asking?
Best,
Aram, always learning

(03-19-2017, 11:09 PM)Aram Wrote: Dang. That's an even bigger chunk of iron than mine. What did you load it onto (what kind of vehicle) and how did you get it on and off, if you don't mind me asking?

I think the salient question is how are YOU planning to move the MM16.  Is it going by common carrier, loading it in a pickup or a trailer etc.  In general I have moved saws up to 24" vertical and with the table on, ones up to 700-800 pounds are easy enough to move on appliance trucks and just strapped down very well in transit but it depends a lot on how you plan to move it and what sort of help you will have loading and unloading.
(03-20-2017, 03:12 AM)Huxleywood Wrote: I think the salient question is how are YOU planning to move the MM16.  Is it going by common carrier, loading it in a pickup or a trailer etc.  In general I have moved saws up to 24" vertical and with the table on, ones up to 700-800 pounds are easy enough to move on appliance trucks and just strapped down very well in transit but it depends a lot on how you plan to move it and what sort of help you will have loading and unloading.

Thank you! That's exactly what I'm deciding. This is very helpful.
Best,
Aram, always learning