Joining four 2x4 into a square for gardening
Thanks, Ray. That's was I was thinking about. And thank goodness, I have a half-dozen different vice grips so that this repair does not require a trip to HD!!
Steve
Steve

I think stripped screws has happened to all of us.  I just get as low to the wood as I can with a vise grips and turn it out.

I mostly do wood turning unless my wife has something special for me to do and then I ask question here.  Glad we could help and great seeing you back and many more years to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I've removed the stripped screw and am ready to proceed, but......
When I went to HD, they did not have the 1 5/8" or 3" Timberlock screws. The gentleman suggested "Grip Right" Outdoor Flat-Head Screws with "STAR" heads and even a free bit.
So, before I open the packs, I wanted to hear back from several of you, as I know you've mentioned that I should not use flat-head screws.
Thanks,
Steve
These headlock screws in 4" would be my choice They sell them at Lowes, and HD. The ones you are talking about have a small head for use on decking, and they will pull straight through pine. These Headlock have a big washer head top, and they are staying put. All Of the "FastenMaster" brand screws are outdoor rated, star or square drive, and have self drilling tips. You need all of these features.

[Image: id-1_headlok-spider-drive_lg.jpg]

[Image: headlok-45.jpg]
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Those grip right deck screws should be fine.  Yes, the ones with big flat heads will hold better, but that is not needed for your application.
(03-27-2017, 02:34 PM)ssg978 Wrote: I've removed the stripped screw and am ready to proceed, but......
When I went to HD, they did not have the 1 5/8" or 3" Timberlock screws. The gentleman suggested "Grip Right" Outdoor Flat-Head Screws with "STAR" heads and even a free bit.
So, before I open the packs, I wanted to hear back from several of you, as I know you've mentioned that I should not use flat-head screws.
Thanks,
Steve

personally I like the star drive screws. I don't have to push the drill into the screw like with Phillips head- just enough force to keep the star in the screw head. iffen ya get into more work with the screws, ya may want to look at some different star drivers- seems the ones that come in those packs of screws aren't the highest of quality. imo, dewalt makes some pretty good star drivers. but whats in there should get ya through the task at hand
something to consider, which I read something about in one of your replies- something about impact driver type thing?
when joining 2 pieces of lumber and even on those brackets, ya just want enough torque to pull the pieces of wood together so theres a tight joint. same way with brackets- just enough torque to have the bracket tight against the wood.
3/30/2017
Thank you all for your advice. I guess that even at my "advanced" age, while there are a few topics I know well and am extremely comfortable, I'm not too old or proud to ask for help when I need it.
My younger brother's late father-in-law was, what I called, the Supreme Chief of Wood. He had a workshop that would make anyone interested in pushing two tacks into piece of wood, drool. He tested and then purchased one of the brand new (at the time) safety-laser table saws and demonstrated it to me. It was amazing. If there was a power tool for wood, it was in his shop. To me, I was more interested and impressed in his observatory.
OK, so I just applied Thompson's Water Seal to my four beams. After reading the directions, I was careful not to slather it all over the surfaces; just slow, full strokes. And I'll leave them to dry for at least three days.
Now, I have a small amount of the product in my tray. How do I dispose of it properly? I've read the can several times and the answer isn't there. And I've searching using Google and Bing and could not find an answer there. So I came here to my mentors.
I'm keeping it in a safe location in the garage until I'm ready to dispose of it.
As always, may your wood be straight, your screws tight and have a soft, clean surface on all your exposed parts.

(Sorry...I couldn't resist!
Smile )

Thanks,
Steve
I forgot one thing - I am not receiving any email notices from the site. As I usually do, I opt-in to be notified right away if there is a reply to a post of mine. I've been coming back here just to check. I've checked both my Spam and Junk folders and nothing was accidentally put there either. I have verified that the correct email is in my account.
Anyone know whom I should try and contact?
Thanks,
Steve
I think what you need to do to get notifications if someone posts on your thread is to click the little icon down and to the left, that's labelled "Subscribe to this thread."
Thanks, Alan. But I did that with my first post. Just after my post earlier this afternoon, I went into my account and it displays the correct email address, but tells me my account hasn't been activated. So I had it resend it. Still nothing! I'm going to the main page and see if I an "knock on someone's door" about this.
Again, thank you!
Steve