Bench Vise Opinions Needed
Hey Guys -

After seeing some of the vise rehab threads, I've decided I really need to finally get a good bench vise for use with some of my other hobbies other than woodworking (I'm getting more and more into working on antique outboard motors). Something vintage, quality, and American made. It doesn't need to be a monster.

Are you guys mostly picking them up locally? I would think shipping costs as well as making sure it hasn't been overly abused would make that the best option vs eBay.

I found a few choices on Craigslist. One is this Wilton bullet vise. We had one where I used to work and it seemed pretty nice. From some comments I've read, they may be kind of overpriced on the used market? 3-1/2" jaws, he wants $150 or B/O:

[Image: Wilton_Vise_zpstxii7knj.jpg]

Then this same guy has a Reed 224 1/2. $175.00 or B/O, 4-1/2" jaws and weighs around 80 lbs (!):

[Image: Reed_Vise_zps59jx26h0.jpg]Finally, an Athol 323 1/2 from a different seller. $100.00:

[Image: Athol_Vise_zpsuajfesst.jpg]

What do you guys think? Any thoughts are appreciated.

- Mark
I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. The middle one is a bit more specialized and I wouldn't want to have to really grab hard with it. The jaws are usually smooth also. It's great for holding odd bits of wood for delicate work. It is a carriage makers vise.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
(03-21-2017, 08:02 PM)Treebeard Wrote: Hey Guys -

After seeing some of the vise rehab threads, I've decided I really need to finally get a good bench vise for use with some of my other hobbies other than woodworking (I'm getting more and more into working on antique outboard motors). Something vintage, quality, and American made. It doesn't need to be a monster.

Are you guys mostly picking them up locally? I would think shipping costs as well as making sure it hasn't been overly abused would make that the best option vs eBay.

I found a few choices on Craigslist. One is this Wilton bullet vise. We had one where I used to work and it seemed pretty nice. From some comments I've read, they may be kind of overpriced on the used market? 3-1/2" jaws, he wants $150 or B/O:

[Image: Wilton_Vise_zpstxii7knj.jpg]

Then this same guy has a Reed 224 1/2. $175.00 or B/O, 4-1/2" jaws and weighs around 80 lbs (!):

[Image: Reed_Vise_zps59jx26h0.jpg]Finally, an Athol 323 1/2 from a different seller. $100.00:

[Image: Athol_Vise_zpsuajfesst.jpg]

What do you guys think? Any thoughts are appreciated.

- Mark
I have two Bullets, each on their own bench and they are excellent vises for sure...But on one bench in the garage I have a Parker, which is my favorite...{ I like vises and have SIX on one bench! }..Of the three you show, my choice would be the Athol..That company was purchased by L.S.Starrett, the precision tool maker. The Athol has been replaced by their own brand but they are high quality vises to be sure. Second choice for me is the Wilton Bullet. The price for it is about average depending on condition. I would not buy the Reed vise altho Reed did make an excellent vise. Wilton now makes some of their vises in china but they are made to their high standards.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I say get 'em all, but then I have a vise thing. There are a dozen in use in my shop and a couple of dozen that are resting. The smooth jaw Reed is a coachmaker's vise and is great for woodworking. I have a smaller version Parker that is just like it. In fact, I used it today when I was sharpening a vintage spokeshave blade.

[Image: DSCN2554.jpg]

Vises make woodworking more safe and add a bit of fun. The easiest way to stab yourself with a chisel is to ignore your vise.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com