Gouges for Maloof rocker/chair
After 2 moves, a kid, and at least 5 years I'm going to try to finish up my dining chair this spring. I did most all all the rough cutting and shaping before the first move. It's been sitting in a shrink wrapped bundle ever since.

Can anybody that's built one of these recommend a few gouges (or a set) to clean up some of the transitions? I have rasps and files and grinders etc. but there's a few areas where I feel like that would take forever but I can't get a chisel in there either.

I don't plan on ever getting into carving (I don't have the patience for it) so I'm trying to avoid having to learn all the lingo and certainly don't want to sink the kind of money into it for tools that I don't need.
-Marc

No gouges touched this chair.  Just grinder and sanders with some small amount of chisel work cleaning up intersections.  Chair is Honduran mahagany.  Ken

[Image: 08e1de15-9cec-4551-b6b6-6b4366c93ccc_zpsljkxiiwy.jpg]

[Image: DSC03643_zpsq9fybmrh.jpg]
Beautiful chair, Ken.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
I used a lot of hand tools to shape my rocking chair. I used a angle grinder with sanding pad for mass material removal, then went to hand tools to finish the shaping. The only chisel I used was a large wide shallow gouge. I will have to look at the number when I get home tonight, but probably 25 wide by 3 or 5 sweep. I also use that gouge on other chair seats somewhere in between a compass plane, travisher, and rounded scrapers.
That's absolutely gorgeous, Ken.  You really going to use that at your dinner table?  You must have a very indulgent spouse.  I can't even get away with reading the newspaper at the table.  
Wink
Tony
Mine
[Image: Rocker1.jpg]
Very beautiful, Scoony.  Many different styles and methods to build these chairs.  Ken