Speak to me of kerfing planes
AKA the rebate saw.
In my quest to make larger and larger Roubo book-stands, I'm finding one of the toughest parts is the re-saw. I'm having the most success with my Japanese pull saw, but even that is tough since it's so flexy. Also, did you ever notice that pull saws are constantly trying to cover your line with sawdust? It's a conspiracy, I tell ya! While I do admit my re-saw game needs work, especially working "around the corner", there has to be a better way... 

I was doing a demo on making the book stand at my local woodworking club a couple weeks ago, and one of my buddies suggested this kerfing plane idea to help me establish a nice track for my saw to ride in. I liken it to using the table saw to establish a kerf before re-sawing on the band saw. Seems like exactly what the dr ordered. In my (somewhat limited) research, it looks like there are some companies making blades, plans, and kits, but there's no true off the shelf solution, it's largely DIY. 

So... Anybody made one? Used one? Bought one? Seen one in the wild? I'll post some links, I may pick up a kit and wing it! But I figured I'd ask the experts first
Smile Thanks! 

Here's a link to a blade/kit.

Here's the kit from the guy my friend said to look up.

And here's a blog/build along.
Benny

Use a plow plane with a blade configured (grinder work) to be a bit larger than my 4 TPI rip saw...it works great, and did not have to build and/or buy anything new.

However do find myself wanting a resawing frame saw, but have not acted on those feelings yet ;-)

Andy

-- mos maiorum
I like that guy better then Chris Schwartz. 
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Just add an adjustable fence to a stair saw and you're there.

It's the quickest and least expensive way I found to try the concept.
Interesting, never heard of a stair saw until now!

Andy, I don't have a plow plane, but it might be a good excuse...
Benny

I have used a Roubo type frame saw for resawing since 1981. After a few years I made a narrow plough and made a deep groove on both edges. Making a groove did not improve my time or accuracy. Skill with the resaw comes with experience.
I use a home made plane similar to a Hollow and Round with a wood screw in the side and the head of the screw forms the kerf.
Turning the screw in or out locates the kerf.
[Image: BeadingPlane_zps58b13b40.jpg]
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

(03-24-2017, 12:58 PM)Chuck Nickerson Wrote: Just add an adjustable fence to a stair saw and you're there.

It's the quickest and least expensive way I found to try the concept.

I did the same thing and it works quick and easy.
(03-25-2017, 09:23 AM)GeorgeV Wrote: I use a home made plane similar to a Hollow and Round with a wood screw in the side and the head of the screw forms the kerf.
Turning the screw in or out locates the kerf.
[Image: BeadingPlane_zps58b13b40.jpg]
Now that is interesting... Almost like a marking gauge with a really big fence.
Benny

Put the skinniest cutter a Stanley #45 has in and set the fence for the center of the saw cut.   Worked for me
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that