Anyone in Greenville/Spartanburg sc?
Cormark International is located just north of Asheville. They sell all kinds of exotic woods and are great to work with. If you go there, be prepared to wipe the drool from your lips.

https://www.cormarkint.com/

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
Thanks for the info all. We drove all over the place saturday. We liked Zion hill and a few others, went to gafney and up to NC then looped back south through boiling springs nc to boiling springs sc. The nc one is not an option unless they get the freeway finished as going through all ge towns would make for a long commute for loml. 

Looked at a number of houses along the way but it's hard to find places with land like I can find here. But if we find the right place a longer commute isn't that big of a deal. An hour and a half commute one way twice twice a week is not a big deal if we find the right place. But trying to keep it closer to an hour. 

Loml has another trip there this weekend and I might think about going back out again depending on loads. It was pretty tight this weekend which I hope that isn't normal because if we live near gsp commuting could be tough for her.  

Very pretty part of the country however I got really sleepy on many parts of the drive because the speed limits are excruciatingly slow on the freeway. (Another commuting issue) But the roads are all in better condition and more lanes with much less traffic than dfw.
Well she has the same trip this week so its part 2. Im at the airport waiting for her and we have a car again. We are going to head east and up to rock hill this time. Lots of nice trees everywhere just waiting to be made into furniture there... GSP is a very nice airport as well as quiet. If anyone has any info about that area would love to hear it. Loml is already ready to move to SC.
I used to live in Charlotte, drove around a lot in SC hunting rust.  If you're looking for more than just a lot, say 2 or 3 acres, drive a bit southeast of Rock Hill, stay west of the Catawba river, pretty country, a little more rural is where you get some elbow room.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-15-2017, 08:52 AM)Admiral Wrote: I used to live in Charlotte, drove around a lot in SC hunting rust.  If you're looking for more than just a lot, say 2 or 3 acres, drive a bit southeast of Rock Hill, stay west of the Catawba river, pretty country, a little more rural is where you get some elbow room.

Yup we were tthere earlier today. Now to sit down with a map and look at all the locations of stuff and driving distance to the airport and figure out what all reasonable will fit best. Oh looked at a few places with lots of trees and thinking bandsaw mill... Even one tree would be a nice supply of lumber.

Oh and I don't know what the deal is but the river flat stinks of sulphur and sewage waste. As in almost chokingly bad for about a 1/2 mile. I can't hold my breath long enough....
(04-15-2017, 04:29 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:     Oh and I don't know what the deal is but the river flat stinks of sulphur and sewage waste. As in almost chokingly bad for about a 1/2 mile. I can't hold my breath long enough....

LOL, that's why I said stay west of the river!  One of the things I noticed back then is that SC's DEHC is not all that aggressive in enforcing clean water act violations of town's sewer overflows (as a young lawyer I used to do defense work on clean water act violations by chemical companies, so I sort of paid attention).  A few years ago there was a big deal about Columbia's treatment system dumping overflow sewage into waterways and the feds got involved.  Issue is small (and large) towns have municipal sewer systems that need replacement and don't get funded, so poorly treated effluent and sometimes when there's a lot of rain raw sewage goes into waterways.  Things might have gotten better since I came back north but your report still leaves me wondering.  

After experiencing some minor flooding at my first house, I resolved never again and always made sure my house was on high ground, as when those creeks rise it can get pretty sporty.

Also, unless your bride is totally set on SC, check out NC southwest of Monroe (which is on Route 74) along the SC border.  Decent enough commute into Charlotte, plus there's a flea market north of Monroe on 74.
She really likes sc so far... But allot has to do with the dstance to CLT. Commuting via GSP would be a pain for her as they are only eagle flights so we are looking somewhere around Gaffney. I liked some areas towards Rutherfordton but the drive is too much since the freeway isn't finished and doesn't look like it will be for many many years. 

One issue I do have is with the vehicle taxes in SC. That's a huge chunk at around $500 a car per year, no wonder I don't see many car dealers as the tax on newer cars is pricey.    

Flooding is something I think about and we're we were interested were nice and high but I see many roads in valleys with 12' flood gauges.... 

Oh and what's with the package unit hvac there, I have never seen so many of them in my life and many on very nice houses. I only see them on trailers here. And here having a garage is the norm where it's not there. Looks like when we are ready we will probably end up renting for quite some time before finding the right place. Or maybe end up with one of the places I found with 25 acres and and a iffy house and just build new and tear down the old.
Good idea to rent for a while, finding the right place in a strange land takes time, and becoming a "local" for a while really gives you insight into the area, as well as allowing you to take advantage of opportunities that come up over time. Consider renting closer to Charlotte, makes you better able to judge the commute to your ultimate location.