Veritas Router - Blade slipping; cuts too deep
Has anyone have trouble with their blade slipping in the veritas router plane? I'm using it to trim tenons, and I had it set perfect.  Cut about 3 or 4 of them.  Then the router started to cut deeper and deeper on each one.  I didn't really notice it until about the 5th one I cut was so deep, the tenon wiggled around inside the mortise and the part was ruined.  I reset, raised the blade, re-tightened the heck out of it, and started on the next one.  Sure enough a couple more and it is loosing it's setting, and cutting deeper.

What gives?  It's un-usable as is, I can't trust it.  Am I doing something wrong?

**Edit - There was a problem with my router.  This is not normal function.  LeeValley replaced my unit, and the new one is perfect.**
Which router plane? Veritas make a few.

If this is occurring to, say, the Large router plane, then I would assume that it has to do with the curvy washer (between the blade holder and the knob) - either it is missing or it has flattened. I am not sure how one would become flat, but it is possible that it has got lost if you have dissembled the plane. Paul Sellers posted a similar complaint on his blog a few months ago, and it was apparent from his photos that the curvy washer was missing. This washer acts as a spring so that you can retain pressure on the blade when it is loosened. It also helps adjust the amount of pressure needed to hold the blade securely.

IGNORE THE ABOVE - I was confusing the Small with the Large router plane. I have since had a look at my Large, taken some photos, and I think I have the solution below.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Large router plane.
I will investigate the washer. Interesting though, I haven't taken it apart. There must be a problem with mine, this can't be normal behavior.
Dang, I though I was the only one with this issue.  Happens to me a lot. I am thinking about getting the LN router plane in the near future.

A couple of things to check:
1. For the large blade, make sure the bolt holding the blade to the shaft is tight.
2. Make sure the brass knob is tight. These knobs seem to be a problem with other LV tools.

There seems to be just enough play somewhere that causes the blade to dig in and shift downwards.

I will also have to look for the curvy washer thing-a-ma-jig.
I tighten the hell out of it... So tight that I can't easily untighten when it's time to adjust for the next deeper pass.  Then when it is where I want it, I give it all I got.  Always, because I've noticed slipping in the past but kind of ignored it because it didn't ruin a workpiece.  This time it did, so I am seeking answers.

I'm not home now, I'll get a picture or something up this evening.
On the large Router plane, make sure you take up whatever slack there is in the adjusting knob for blade depth.  In practice, you should always have the threads of the screw tight against the movement of the tool.  In this case, the tool will always try to dig, so the depth setting should always be "lifting" the blade, then tighten the shaft with the stop.  That way both the threads of the screw and the stop will act together and prevent the tool from drifting downward. 

For the small router plane, make sure the shaft is roughed up to hold in the tightening collar.  That one is more problematic and LV has provided a solution that works better then the first generation.

I hope that makes sense and is helpful
(03-24-2017, 07:36 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: I tighten the hell out of it... So tight that I can't easily untighten when it's time to adjust for the next deeper pass.  Then when it is where I want it, I give it all I got.  Always, because I've noticed slipping in the past but kind of ignored it because it didn't ruin a workpiece.  This time it did, so I am seeking answers.

I'm not home now, I'll get a picture or something up this evening.

That's wrong. If yours is like that, I would contact Lee Valley. I have never experienced this on my Large. It gets a lot of use, and I've had it from pre-production - that's longer than anyone. I way I use it is to set the final depth on the depth stop, then work my way incrementally towards this depth. That requires that the blade is loosened to adjust, and tightened to use, and this repeated all the way. You cannot do this with a knob that is tightened down heavily. It is important to make quick changes, and you need to do this with finger pressure.

Check that the shaft/thread of the locking screw is long enough to tighten the blade mechanism (as it screws forward, it pulls the blade holder back, which locks down the blade). Roughen the bed for the blade (I've never needed to do that).

EDIT TO ADD THE FOLLOWING:

Here is the mechanism ..

[Image: Router-spring3_zpsppx7gdt6.jpg]

When the screw is tightened, it pulls the clamp back and this grips the blade. The shaft at the end of the screw is not a solid section of steel, but a piston that moves back-and-forth. It is extended by a spring, but when pushed forward (as the screw tightens), the shaft is pushed inward. As the shaft becomes shorter, so the blade clamp can tighten.

[Image: Router-spring2_zpsiha9zwvz.jpg]

[Image: Router-spring1_zpsyd2ph7rh.jpg]

Now, if the piston is stuck, there cannot be any travel, and the blade holder cannot move back and tighten the blade. If there is only a limited amount of movement, that is, the movement is not free but stiff, it would require extra force to move the piston.

I would try cleaning the piston in some degreaser or penetrating oil. This should free it up, and all should be well. Keep it lubricated.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I will report back.  Thanks for the info.

I'm not at all worried there won't be a resolution to this.  

Thanks men.
Is it an old one? LV changed the collar a few years back (you could buy it then to replace the old model collar – probably still can). I'd call them and talk it through; I'm sure they'll sort it.
2 years old.