A wood turning Kickstarter
Found this online today. $84K and counting with 10 days still to go.

Why didn't I think of it
Wink

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/146...escription
Is there a link?
(03-24-2017, 01:20 PM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: Is there a link?

Sorry. Thought I pasted it. It's there now
As a Kentucky bourbon drinker, I don't think that I would want that honey finish imparting any additional flavor on my bourbon.

Maybe this is targeted to the drinkers of the more pedestrian Tennessee whiskies. ;-)

Wish that I had thought of it first too though. 86k$ and counting
First what are they raising money for?

Last they said this

"We use specialty milling techniques to expand the base of the tumbler to create a larger space at the bottom"

What special milling is done here?  Seems he used a drill press and a lathe what else?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-24-2017, 07:46 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: First what are they raising money for?

Last they said this

"We use specialty milling techniques to expand the base of the tumbler to create a larger space at the bottom"

What special milling is done here?  Seems he used a drill press and a lathe what else?

Kickstarter is to raise money to start a company or a product.  It isn't to raise money for charity or anything like that. (Although some of the projects do have some charity type connection but mostly it's to fund a business or project) So they basically say if you fund me as a reward you will get X. I have done a half dozen Kickstarter. All but one have worked out fine. One I got screwed on.  One is still pending but well behind schedule.  There goal is afte r the Kickstarter they will continue to sell the procut you funded. Like the drinktanks I Kickstarter or the North drinkware.

So you aren't buying a product per se. You are funding a startup.  With hopes you will get the "reward"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/138...=discovery  Our own joe fisher did this to start his brew pub.  

They take 10% of the funds raised.

As for the specialized milling technique. That is all just marketing. It's just a lathe and turning.

Obviously it's working for them. They are very successful with this
Over and over they say that they use oak.
The FAQ even says that they use oak because that is what bourbon barrels are made of.
No where does it say what kind of oak they use.
They do not even bother to say that they use white oak, red oak, or whatever comes to hand as long as it is oak.

As for the "special milling", I would bet a small amount that they are producing these on a CNC lathe.
If I was going to make many of that shape by hand, I think that I would use a variant on Stuart Batty's camera-based hollowing technique with my Monster Tool articulated hollowing rig.

If they ever say why they add the stainless cup to the bottom, I cannot seem to find it.

I did note the one picture showing that they might be incorporating the portion of the whiskey glass shape thet lets you set it down with the glass at 40-ish degrees to let it breathe.

Thanks to the OP for posting that. It has a lot of food for thought.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Actually they say they use white oak. Look at the graphic
(03-24-2017, 11:48 PM)Wipedout Wrote: Actually they say The you use white oak. Look at the graphic

Thanks.

I was so focused on the dimensions in that graphic that I missed the white oak label.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
My thought was that the steel base was a way of plugging the end grain so that the thing didn't leak or weap.