I got a burl
[Image: IMG_2084_zpsgcae1wvt.jpg]A friend of my son gave me a spruce burl a while ago.
I was figuring on cutting into veneer for boxes but now I have a lathe so some bowls may be nice too.
Need to make a cutting plan

[Image: IMG_2081_zpss6ldjp7o.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2083_zpsen7etdn6.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2084_zpsgcae1wvt.jpg]
For The Love Of Wood
Turning a burl is a challenge for even the most seasoned wood turner.
Ask Robo Hippy for his opinion.

If anyone knows how to turn it, he will.
I like your doormat
Spruce I've turned have been free of voids and bark pockets, unlike the abundant cherry monstrosities.  Means you can find a bottom and the best spread with string or the wife's stainless bowls, and make a quick flat bottom and lag the trunk to a board you can stand on to make the parallel cut to become the rim.  Any knots you see should be at least an inch in from the rim, so you can reinforce before turning, and turn without breakout.  It's wood.  Wood without the anisotropic qualities that shrink across and leave alone along the grain.  Stay sharp, and CUT the wood, because it's still spruce, and will squash a bit. 

Enjoy.

NB  while it's held upright slice a chunk to make veneers if there's enough depth left.

Almost forgot. Keep a rag or two with mineral spirits handy for periodically cleaning stickiness from your tools. I'll be all over, even though you piece looks to have dried a bit.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(03-24-2017, 02:55 PM)KHerb G Wrote: Turning a burl is a challenge for even the most seasoned wood turner.
Ask Robo Hippy for his opinion.

If anyone knows how to turn it, he will.

While I agree with Robo knowing a lot. I don't agree with your statement about burl being that big of a challenge. They can be when full of voids etc but not all burls are. So until cut up I wouldn't classify the challenge...
Hmm, don't really know... First thing I would do is to cut the log down the pith at as near as a right angle to the bulge of the burl as possible (hope that makes sense). That would be to see if the burl goes through to the center of the log, which some times they do. Next would be to maybe isolate the small burl on the side, and center a big set of bowls from the bit one. Hope you have a coring system. 

I don't like any of the conifers. They just have too much resin in them when it comes time to sand. There can be pitch pockets in them as well. I did get a wonderful piece of Alaskan Yellow Cedar burl once and got a great little nested set of 3 or 4 bowls. That sanded out wonderfully though. 

robo hippy
Great I can not wait to see what you make from it.
Yes

I know I would love to have some of those nasty cherry burls that MM is talking about.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Well, Sunday morning I cut it

[Image: IMG_2094_zpsixzbyb7q.jpg]

Fairly solid at first glance

[Image: IMG_2095_zpsg6bdycjc.jpg]

Trimmed it up on the bandsaw and started to turning.

[Image: IMG_2096_zps2avacz0s.jpg]

Wish I would have seen the recomendation about a mineral spirits rag before thsi. Man was that thing sticky.
It was wet enough, quite soft and punky but the outer part is fairly solid.
Unchucked and I will let it dry for a bit now. I think it will soak up a bunch of CA before I;'m done

[Image: IMG_2097_zpsyuakhlkb.jpg]

I think it will turn out ok though.

Thanks for the tips
For The Love Of Wood
Finished. Could have been a bit thinner but I'm new at this

[Image: IMG_2108_zps9rizllki.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2107_zpsohop0k7n.jpg]

and I didn't want to take a chance on the knott blowing out any further

[Image: IMG_2106_zpshqz9cisj.jpg]
For The Love Of Wood
You did a swell job on the burl.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.