Design Help - Mission style cabinet
Let me preface this by saying, no idea what I'm doing.  I drew this out and started building.  Never done anything like this before.

Need help now.  This project is a media cabinet.  TV on top, satelite boxes and whatever on a big shelf in the middle.  That open area where the slats are is the shelf part. 

Below that are 2 large drawers for storage.

Here's my question.  On the bottom left, right, and back, how do I enclose that space?  When I designed it on paper, my thought was for me to cut a groove in the middle and bottom rail for a panel to sit in.  Solid oak on the sides, and plywood along the back.  However, I didn't forsee the problem of how the panel would fit against the legs...

What the heck do I do now?  Do I cut a stopped dado in the leg to hold the panel?  Do I just butt the panel against the legs, and maybe cover the gap with a piece of trim?

Lol what the heck do I do now.

This is a bad cell phone pic of the progress so far.
[Image: 2wp6po1.jpg]

This is a pic of the side, and where I need the panel to go on the bottom half.
[Image: 262rwa1.jpg]
You could cut stopped grooves in the legs for the panels. That would work just fine. You could also make a sort of frame and panel look with stiles on the sides of the panels. If there's enough width on the sides, you could divide the panel with a central stile. I'd divide the back up either way. If you want a sketch showing you that, I could make it.
Stopped dados and a center stile in the back panel. Your legs look plenty large enough to handle it.
It's basically how I built a sofa height, 2 shelf bookcase without the front casework you have.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Thanks Men for your help.  Also, special thanks to "ModSe" who drew this up for me in Sketchup.

What I'll do is for the sides, divide it in half with a stile, and make a split panel.  I will cut a stopped groove in each leg to hold the panel.  The panel on the side will be QSWO.  In the back, I will also make a split panel, but it will be 1/2" oak plywood.

Time to get to work.  I'll be back to ask about what to do for the shelf later.
Your shelf can also a stopped dados or it can rest on cleats.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Thanks for the help.  I think it looks great.  Still no idea what I'm doing but I'm just trying stuff til it fits.

[Image: 2ui8ahf.jpg]
Wow! You made quick work of that! I like that look, too.
Veritas plough plane for grooves. It even worked on the stopped grooves in the leg because the mortises lined up and the plane could drop in. Had to clean up with chisel though after. I couldn't go full depth. Chopped some mortises for the stile and I was good to go.

Thanks again.
I did something similar for mine and I like how it turned out. (other than by bad photography)

[Image: Arts-Crafts-Entertainment-Center-D3.JPG]

[Image: Arts-Crafts-Entertainment-Center-D8.JPG]

[Image: Arts-Crafts-Entertainment-Center-E4.JPG]
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
That looks nice, thanks for sharing.

I am finished with the carcass at this point.  The top is done as well.  Next step will be to dress the through tenons, smooth plane the parts, and start the glueup.  

I still haven't decided if I want to do a solid wood shelf, or a plywood shelf.

And, another design question for you fellas.  

Would it be ok to use maple for drawer sides/back?  Or should I use oak for all 4 sides of the drawers?  They will be half blind dovetails for front, and through on the back.