PennState VS kit
I have a PennState 10" lathe with the bed extension.  I primarily use it for spindle turning.

I am considering upgrading it with their Variable Speed kit. Has anyone here had experience with that kit? Is it worthwhile?  

I am turning rough split blanks into chair legs and spindles and think that the VS would be handy.
I know several people who bought the kit & a year later, it was DOA.
The motor is junk, it seems.

I'd buy a good used VS lathe before I dumped money into a questionable kit.
(03-25-2017, 06:26 PM)Scoony Wrote: I have a PennState 10" lathe with the bed extension.  I primarily use it for spindle turning.

I am considering upgrading it with their Variable Speed kit. Has anyone here had experience with that kit? Is it worthwhile?  

I am turning rough split blanks into chair legs and spindles and think that the VS would be handy.

Get a big roughing gouge (~1 1/4") or a 1" or larger straight chisel.  They work as if they were meant for the task, just like they did for all those years bodging beech for chairs.  Note that they are used skewed to the work, so they are peeling downhill, not stuffed nose in as you see some '"famous names" doing.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...d-Peel.jpg

http://vid35.photobucket.com/albums/d160...rRough.mp4

The rapidity of removal depends on the depth of bite and the speed of transport along the rest, not the RPM.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
That is the same lathe I first started with but with that motor in it and I loved it.  The only reason I was I went bigger to the Delta 46-460 and PSI did not have the 12" lathe at the time.  Yes I would recommended it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
So the consensus is to leave it as is. I have other shop tools that will need upgrading before I upgrade to another lathe. Works fine as is, was just wondering if a VS upgrade would be worth it.
Thanks
I bought the Penn State Variable Speed motor kit for my Jet 1014. I have used it for about 3 or 4 years and have never had a problem with it. It was a little difficult to install to my Jet but I did a small alteration with the bolt holes and it works great. I would recommend it and I think it makes my lathe much more fun and easier to turn pens and such with. I would never be without the variable speed, I love it. In my opinion it was well worth the price to turn my Jet 1014 into variable speed.
Tim.
Seven days without turning makes one weak.
Thanks, Tim.

I am turning turkey calls and going from 3" diameter calls to 3/4" dia handles. I know I should be turning the speed up for the handles, but too lazy to change speeds.
You are very welcome Scoony. Good luck to you if you decide to go the variable speed conversion route. I am sure you'll love it.
Tim.
Seven days without turning makes one weak.