LN workbench?
Does anyone have experience with the LN workbench? I could only find a couple of reviews on the internet. One was Schwarz's, found a few things wanting but that was a number of years ago. Any first hand experience?

Or what I should probably ask -- who makes a good commercial bench these days? The names I used to be familiar with either don't seem to make them anymore, or they are poorly reviewed.

Thanks!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I don't have a LN bench, but built a copy of it to fit my needs. I made it a foot shorter and a little narrower, not that this matters. I tried to copy just about everything else (bench top thickness, legs and stretchers.) I used their vise hardware and vise chops so it is very similar in design and operation. I am very happy with it. Their tail vise hardware is really robust and will not sag. Their twin screw front vise is also very nice. (It has a bit of resistance to turning the handle. You can't spin it, but it moves smoothly. (Thus could, of course, be due to a small error in installing it.)) I installed the 18 inch model and have 12 inches between the screws. 

If you like the layout and the size of the LN bench, be assured you are going to get a stout and massive bench which, with proper care, will serve you and your children.

Here's mine so you can see it is basically the same:

[Image: Newworkbench3_zpsd8c5c842.jpg]
Yes I have one. Been using it for about 8 years. It is heavy duty and solid. I got my second hand and it was too tall for me so lowered it a few inches. It is definitely a life time bench. Constructed well.
So that's what a bench top looks like. I haven't seen mine in a couple years. Totally cluttered although I have found one little corner where I can do some work.
Ditto what Mark said: you won't regret working on a LN bench. Here is pic of my knock-off of the LN bench
with a more traditional base.

[Image: cb8a202e-2596-44dd-9e4f-37b6261e0ad4_zps4eye8zpr.jpg]
LN workbench? They look nice but I already have one from Ulmia. I clean it and give it a BLO treatment about every 6-8 months. That happened to be yesterday.

[Image: DSCN2632.jpg]
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I've never owned one, but I have used a L-N bench at Kelly Mehler's woodworking school over the years. It's a really nice bench-very solid, extremely well made. It does look like they have changed the style somewhat, in particular the legs are now flush to the top.

As a side note, about 7 years ago Kelly invited some woodworkers to come to his shop for a week and help build replacement benches for the school. I believe we made 10 benches, some Roubo and some Holtzapffel. The benches that were replaced included about 5-6 Laguna and 3-4 Sjoberg benches. The one bench that didn't get replaced was a lone Lie-Nielsen bench.

Attached Files Image(s)

(03-26-2017, 07:20 AM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: LN workbench? They look nice but I already have one from Ulmia. I clean it and give it a BLO treatment about every 6-8 months. That happened to be yesterday.

[Image: DSCN2632.jpg]

Beauty. No longer made, though, right? I've been looking on eBay. Nothing. I think Ulmia owners know what they have!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

(03-26-2017, 11:36 AM)Aram Wrote: Beauty. No longer made, though, right? I've been looking on eBay. Nothing. I think Ulmia owners know what they have!

True. ECE makes benches using the name but they are not the same. The original Ulmia benches come up for auction on rare occasions. My dad bought this one new when he retired because he thought he needed it. But he only ever used the top for his garden implements. I was lucky to catch him in a weak moment and was able to talk him out of it. Now it is the treasure of my shop.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
LIL thanks everyone!
Best,
Aram, always learning