Link Belt
While I have my jointer partially disassembled for a new cutterhead and fence, I looked at the drive belt; has stretched and gotten worn and stiff. It is the standard V belt design. It was noisy and has been in service for ~10 years so I plan to replace it. Thinking about a link belt. I installed one on a PM contractor saw I had years ago and it worked fine. As I recall it was made out of leather.

A little research reveals that they are now made out of some sort of fiber. Harbor Freight has the green fiber version, 1/2" x 5' for $30. Anyone have any experience with this one? Is it one of the "gems" at HF or should I go elsewhere to purchase?

I also know that segmented belts are now used on some machines. Should this be a consideration - pros and cons?

Thanks,

Doug
Doug, sorry, I don't have the HF.  I do have a few of the original link belts which were reddish -  IIRC they were made of out some fiber, not leather.  Segmented will bend easier around a tighter radius than non segmented. My recollection is that the link belt won't ever develop a memory or set, even if it sits at one spot, so if you don't use a machine much, a link belt will have an advantage over a segmented belt.
(03-26-2017, 06:56 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Segmented will bend easier around a tighter radius than non segmented. My recollection is that the link belt won't ever develop a memory or set, even if it sits at one spot, so if you don't use a machine much, a link belt will have an advantage over a segmented belt.

Doesn't bounce around when you star the machine up.  Biggest advantage.  Doesn't make noise. 

I've seen the new ones.  Pigment seems the biggest change.  Same sort of rubber impregnated cloth as the old.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
The vast majority of link belt users swear by them....even the HF gets high marks, and at one time as actually made in the US.  They won't take a set, and don't suffer from zig zags, so are a lot less prone to thumping noise and vibration.  Get a coupon and get it for $25. I've had a red link belt on my jointer for > 15 years.  They can stretch a bit, so it's probably time to take a look and remove a link or two.

For the sake of discussion, a good quality cogged rubber v-belt can be just as smooth, and is actually more aerodynamic, so makes less wing noise. But the cheap Chinese stock parts aren't usually very good.
Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I've used the red PowerTwist belts on a couple of machines now for years and haven't had a problem. From what I had researched at the time, it appears that there are only two companies that make these belts (red / green), and they are then branded by various sellers. Here is a link to an article that I had found, comparing the two.

Link belt comparison
Does anyone else remember when these were first sold as a repair belt to keep in your car so it was universal in length and would get you to the parts store.
(03-26-2017, 09:29 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: Does anyone else remember when these were first sold as a repair belt to keep in your car so it was universal in length and would get you to the parts store.

Yes when I was little my dad had a bunch of them for our business a Greenhouse that had a lot of motors to run the boilers and pumps on hand in case of an emergency
I have the green HF one on my bandsaw. No complaints but not much to really compare it to unfortunately. It was more a matter of getting one quickly and getting up and running vs finding the best.

I was always told to get pantyhose in my car in case a belt broke. Never had to test the theory. It's been 14 years since I left Canada but I still keep a candle and a blanket in my car in the winter though
Wink
-Marc

Thanks guys - looks like Harbor Freight it is! Fortunately, I have a 20% off coupon to punch.

Doug
The link belts are made by Fenner Manheim, located in Manheim, Pa. They are the original manufacturer and still make them (red color). Several woodworking web companies sell them, but I can't recall the name off the top of my head. Grizzly also sold the originals at one time.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com