Link Belt
(03-26-2017, 09:29 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: Does anyone else remember when these were first sold as a repair belt to keep in your car so it was universal in length and would get you to the parts store.

Wish I had it in the early 60's. Used girlfriends stocking for a temporary belt. Twisted it up tight as I could and tied a knot. We thumped along for 10 miles til I got to a parts store. Left the stocking on til I got home and had proper tools to change the belt.
mike
I have several of each color in my shop, and have noticed no difference between them.   Never before been advised that they have a horsepower rating ... got them on my Grizz 1023 ... my Woodmaster 18" planer ... an 8" jointer ... bandsaw ... 6"X48" stationary sander.   All have been great and trouble free.

I also still have several feet of the old leather belts with the rivets ... just like the new ones better.

(03-31-2017, 02:02 PM)Bøb Wrote: Never before been advised that they have a horsepower rating

All belts have power ratings, but it's never just a number.  It's a function of the small sheave size, sheave center distance when there are different sizes (affects angle of wrap on the small sheave), belt construction, belt speed and belt tension on the load side, and duty cycle.  So it takes a bit of calculation to determine the appropriate belt, including size (A, B, etc.), cogged or not (for standard belts - cogged have higher specific power values), and number of belts in a group.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I was always told to get pantyhose in my car in case a belt broke. Never had to test the theory. It's been 14 years since I left Canada but I still keep a candle and a blanket in my car in the winter though [Image: yellowwink.gif]

Did your wife buy that excuse for the pair of pantyhose she found in your car. Lol. 
Big Grin
Well, just for informational purposes, here is the installation guide:

http://in-lineindustries.com/wp-content/...ctions.pdf
chris