Link Belt
There is another occasional advantage to the linked belts.  Older lathe we got running for DIL, would have required disassembling the headstock spindle to replace old dry rotted belt. You can replace with a linked belt without as much dissembly, occas a real issue!!!!.   Ray
I have both hf green and a red one from a rockler dist. No difference in quality or function.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have them on all my power tools and am very happy with them.

Some will say that they wear cast iron sheaves very quickly. I've not experienced that.
chris
(03-26-2017, 12:19 AM)Tapper Wrote: While I have my jointer partially disassembled for a new cutterhead and fence, I looked at the drive belt; has stretched and gotten worn and stiff. It is the standard V belt design. It was noisy and has been in service for ~10 years so I plan to replace it. Thinking about a link belt. I installed one on a PM contractor saw I had years ago and it worked fine. As I recall it was made out of leather.

A little research reveals that they are now made out of some sort of fiber. Harbor Freight has the green fiber version, 1/2" x 5' for $30. Anyone have any experience with this one? Is it one of the "gems" at HF or should I go elsewhere to purchase?

I also know that segmented belts are now used on some machines. Should this be a consideration - pros and cons?

Thanks,

Doug

Doug you don't say HP. I wouldn't use on over a 1 1/2 hp motor. I also have used the green HF belts and they stretch badly, not a gem. The brand you want is FENNER Now I never realized they had so many different belts, they may even have one for larger motors. I would verify the name before buying though, not sure how many knock offs are out there.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Steve,

Jointer is a ShopFox 1741 with a 3 HP motor. Didn't realize there was a power spec on these belts. I'll take a closer look at Fenner - thanks for the link!

Doug
1-800-243-3374 will get you the best info on these, probably let you know distributors who carry the full line as well.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Just a quick follow-up:

Harbor Freight link belt, 5 ft. - $24.00 with coupon; available in local store

Fenner twist belt, 5 ft. - $52.10; local dealer carries the line but must be ordered from dist. ctr.

Doug
IIRC the HF link belt was Made in America by Jason industrial.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
Fenner Manheim, in Manheim, PA.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I'm running several of the original red ones. Have for over ten years probably. Great belts.
Table saw takes 3 belts, and was easier to install them than the original one piece belt.

Needed a belt for a grinder last year and wow, the prices have really went up. So I just used a standard belt.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020