How Interchangeable are lathe components?
Assuming that you have a headstock from brand A, can you put together a lathe with a tailstock from brand B and banjo and legs from C and D? Curious, as I see components from time to time on CL and EBAY and occasionally at auctions or yard sales.  Thanks
Difficult
For example Teknatool used a different lathe bed on their DVR then the DVR-XP, meaning you couldn't use a DVR-XP banjo or tail-stock on a DVR.
Gap, depth, spacing, etc all vary between brands and sometimes models.
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
Not to mention lining up headstock and tailstock
Thanks.  I thought this might be the case, but being new to woodturning world wasn't sure.

Stephen
Some times yes, some times no... The width of the gap in the ways/bed of the lathe is critical, unless you want to mill things down. Thickness of the ways can be another matter. You may have to get a longer screw/bolt for the pressure plate on the bottom. Exact center height can be different as well, so 6 inches on one lathe may be 5 7/8 on another... 

robo hippy
For banjo's and tailstocks yes you can do it.  All you have to do is make a longer or shorter bar under the nut that makes it tighten up under the ways.  If you also need to raise them up you can put a plate under them and drill the hole for the threaded bolt, but you can not lower them unless you take off a lot of metal.

You can even raise up the head stock the same way by adding metal until you get the height right but have to watch the shims to make it perfect.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-26-2017, 10:50 AM)Wipedout Wrote: Not to mention lining up headstock and tailstock
In height, though that shouldn't be that difficult using standardized diameters. 

Classic Conover

[Image: img1.gif]
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I would guess if swing of each is the same, the vertical dimensions should work. The problems come with the different bed styles and clamping methods. The width and depth of the longitudinal opening varies. With access to the right equipment, or a reasonable local fabricator, parts could be adapted.