Replacement window results
I had asked here a few months ago about replacement windows.

Got quotes from an Anderson dealer, and Windows World.

The Anderson windows were over twice as much as Windows World.  I didn't even bother to get a quote on the Anderson units from Home Depot, figuring they weren't going to be half the other dealer's price.

In doing my research, Windows World had decent reviews.  Actually better than the Anderson installer.

This was for the daughter's place and the existing windows were real oddballs.  For example, five large bedroom windows with wooden louvers below, louvers needing to come out as the glass was upsized to the entire opening.  And I wanted the outside trim all wrapped.

I sorta figured going in that the interior trim would be challenging, and didn't mind if I had to step-up to fine-tune things.  I was okay with that.

But what I nor the installers were prepared for was the difficulty in removing the (painted) oak trim on about half of the interior windows.  Some of the trim got banged up but quite honestly I don't feel like I could have done any better.  The nails had a death grip.  At first I sort of thought maybe they had been assembled with ring shank nails but it looks like it was just finish nails that had reacted with the oak and created a super bond.

When replacing a couple of pieces of trim they had banged-up, I decided to swap a piece that they hadn't touched but was sketchy, and I thought I was going to break it in half getting it off the window.  All that was holding it in were a few rather short finish nails.

If I ever have windows installed again, I'm going to remove the trim before the installers arrive.

There are maybe one or two spots where the exterior caulk needs to be touched-up, otherwise the job came out fine and the new windows really are a massive improvement when it comes to looks.

Those louvers leaked like crazy, hugely energy inefficient, this is going to save some real do-re-mi on heating.  Reduced street noise was immediately evident, too.

Oh and the molding that had to be replaced was available at the local lumber yard.  Got there at 11:45 yesterday (closing at noon) and had everything I needed by noon.  It occurred to me that the original moldings were probably sourced from the same yard back when the house was built over seventy years ago.

Anyway I had asked here so figured I'd post a follow-up.
Good to hear. I bought our windows at depot but I installed them. Houses here are brick and replacing windows is a much bigger pain in some respects and the interior is all drywall returns. 

As for trim any time a door or window has to be replaced I consider the trim to be sacrificed. It's too much of a pain and takes too long to mess with removing trim in order to reuse it. Just tear it out and put new trim in and less hassle.
I appreciate the follow up. It's nice to hear how things turned out and why. When I had our windows replaced, I removed all of the interior trim before the day of install. I knew that I was going to install extension jambs and put wider casing myself so I figured I give the window guys a helping hand. It all worked out great in the long run for me. I'm glad that you are going to be able to wrap things up for your daughter, at least she will know that the finishing touches will be done right,
Big Grin
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
When we did ours I had to take out one vertical trip piece in my daughters room that had 22 nails in it.  Some were about 4" long.  No idea why.  Just about pulled down the whole wall to get rid of it.
Is Window World an installer representing a brand or many brands or are they a manufacturer? If an installer, which brand did they install? Do you like the product?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

My son and his wife in Virginia had their windows replaced by Window World.

They were very pleased.

Neil, I'm betting that they have the windows manufactured for themselves, the installers.

Like NewPro.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
(03-27-2017, 05:26 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Is Window World an installer representing a brand or many brands or are they a manufacturer? If an installer, which brand did they install? Do you like the product?

I can't remember the name of the window manufacturer.  They told me once, I just forgot it and can't find it online again.  It starts with the letters "Al," IIRC.

They apparently buy enough (they claim to be the largest installer of vinyl window retrofits in the US) that the hardware on the windows itself says "Windows World."

I do like the product.  We went with the middle level and they seem robust and operate smoothly.  I compared the construction to the better stuff from JELD-WEN (at Menards) and they seem very similar.

Edit to add:  Just found the manufacturer:  Alside.
Good to know in case on the next house I don't want to do windows myself. I did look at them after I did ours and their installed prices were comparable to the cost of the windows alone. Window world isn't very popular here and I had never heard of them until I saw them mentioned online. 

Our old windows were aluminum 2 over 2 1960 vintage and we're junk in 1960. Cutting aluminum windows out of brick houses is fun... not.. 

Windows are like granite countertop installers... Everyone and their brother does it now and lots of window manufacturers now with only slight differences.  The cheapest vinyl window I have seen is still better than a mid grade aluminum and even many high end aluminum.
(03-27-2017, 09:18 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: I did look at them after I did ours and their installed prices were comparable to the cost of the windows alone.

I will tell you that when they came in at HALF what the Anderson dealer wanted, I was skeptical.

But the online reviews I found were positive.  I found people that had done both their first and 2nd homes w/ WW, and I considered that a raving endorsement.

Sure, one of them complained about some privacy glass issue (apparently wasn't on the agreement) and wanted WW to eat a $150 misunderstanding.  On reading that I thought if all he could quibble about was $150, then WW must be doing something right.
Phil,

Did you look at any fiberglass replacement windows or just vinyl? If so what was the cost difference.

I am about to be in the market for them and will probably do the install myself, but my last house having vinyl siding and windows and hating them I am thinking of looking at fiberglass windows.

My current house has wood siding and wooden single pane windows. I think vinyl would look out of place here.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent