Replacement window results
(03-27-2017, 09:45 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: I will tell you that when they came in at HALF what the Anderson dealer wanted, I was skeptical.

But the online reviews I found were positive.  I found people that had done both their first and 2nd homes w/ WW, and I considered that a raving endorsement.

Sure, one of them complained about some privacy glass issue (apparently wasn't on the agreement) and wanted WW to eat a $150 misunderstanding.  On reading that I thought if all he could quibble about was $150, then WW must be doing something right.

Yeah if that's the average worst then I have no problem with them. Hopefully the next house won't need windows.... But it sure is nice to open and close a window with one hand and it not leak like a sieve.
(03-27-2017, 01:43 PM)Cub_Cadet_GT Wrote: My current house has wood siding and wooden single pane windows. I think vinyl would look out of place here.

Please think carefully before replacing wood single pane windows.  Nothing currently available will exceed the energy efficiency of a wood single pane + a storm window.  Wood windows look better, are easier to maintain, and are all around a better choice than replacement windows.

I can provide some references and more information if you want to learn more, but Historic Homeworks is a good source of information to start.
(03-29-2017, 10:41 AM)geek2me Wrote: Please think carefully before replacing wood single pane windows.  Nothing currently available will exceed the energy efficiency of a wood single pane + a storm window.  Wood windows look better, are easier to maintain, and are all around a better choice than replacement windows.

I can provide some references and more information if you want to learn more, but Historic Homeworks is a good source of information to start.

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree with you more. These windows are drafty, need reglazing, most are painted shut and are a pain the butt to keep clean. I also hate the look of storm windows.

I cannot wait to get rid of these windows and replace with a modern double pane argon low-e glass window.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
(03-29-2017, 10:41 AM)geek2me Wrote: Please think carefully before replacing wood single pane windows.  Nothing currently available will exceed the energy efficiency of a wood single pane + a storm window.  Wood windows look better, are easier to maintain, and are all around a better choice than replacement windows.

I actually agree with much of this, provided the windows are in good shape.  And that you don't mind the look of aluminum storms (they don't bother me at all).

Wood storms is a deal breaker, swapping them twice a year is a PITA and as the years tick-off, they get pretty leaky, too.

There is no way I'd buy modern wood windows that are not clad with something on the outside, though.  This hyper-growth wood they have at their disposal these days is rot-prone, in my experience.  In fact, I'll be replacing two door jambs that are just a few years old this summer, for precisely that reason.

Modern vinyl windows are available in a multitude of colors and the designs have improved to the point where I don't mind them at all.  Twenty years ago I passed on houses with vinyl windows, these days I don't mind them at all.

The point is get rid of the maintenance of the wood windows and loose the horrid storm windows. Want to open your windows oh just help get the wood window open then reach in an open the storm window or have new windows click click and slide.  

If you are really pushing energy efficiency that will never pay for itself in your lifetime go with high end triple panes. Fact is energy is generally cheaper than high performance products which rarely will be in a house long enough to pay for itself or will have failed and have to be replaced.
(03-29-2017, 12:37 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Wood storms is a deal breaker, swapping them twice a year is a PITA and as the years tick-off, they get pretty leaky, too.

There are a few alternatives:
- wood storms that open, so they don't have to be swapped out
- interior storms that "press fit", a lot of old house owners use these because they are easy to make and more efficient.
- retrofit thermo-pane glass to the wood windows - but that won't give you the energy saving benefits of the large air space with storms.
(03-29-2017, 11:00 AM)Cub_Cadet_GT Wrote: Sorry, but I couldn't disagree with you more. These windows are drafty, need reglazing, most are painted shut and are a pain the butt to keep clean. I also hate the look of storm windows.

I cannot wait to get rid of these windows and replace with a modern double pane argon low-e glass window.

From my previous post.  I have not missed  messing with the front windows...

We did the replacement window thing on our house.  Small 1848 farm house, three bedrooms.  We wanted to keep the look but reduce the maintenance.  

Let me explain.  In front we had two 5 x 8 true divided light windows, 40 x 2 + 80 panes to clean.  We have lots of big oak trees that snow yellow pollen in the spring which means I have to wash windows in the spring and then again in the fall.  (Wife agreement so I can have a wood shop.  Win-Win.)  So to wash them, I was on a ladder for ever.  Then I had to go inside to do those.  80 x 2 = 160.  Since the dividers  were painted wood, I would have to scrape and paint them, then scrap off any paint on the glass.

So when we decided to replace the windows, we went with interior grids.  Looks the same from the outside but I can now clean then with a bucket of warm water, a little bit of Dawn, large scrubber on a stick, and a good squeegee.  Now takes minutes and the end result is better.  New windows reduced drafts pretty much all over the house.  Good long term investment.  

For your consideration...
(03-29-2017, 11:00 AM)Cub_Cadet_GT Wrote: Sorry, but I couldn't disagree with you more. These windows are drafty, need reglazing, most are painted shut and are a pain the butt to keep clean. I also hate the look of storm windows.

It's your house and your choice.  However, if comfort and energy costs are considerations, the current wood windows can be easily reglazed and repaired to eliminate the drafts.  From a cost perspective, replacement windows cannot save enough energy to pay back the cost in the usable life of the window, but of course saving money is not the top priority for everyone.

Resale may be something else to think about - but maybe hard to anticipate whether a buyer will want new windows or prefers the look of old windows.
I have read this and watched this thread because I am in the process of wanting to do the same. Whoever said that a single pane glass with storm windows is more efficient than today's windows is nuts. I have them and they are drafty and the glass is super cold. The storm window protects the inside window from direct wind but does nothing to stop cold. They are noisier than todays double glazed windows hands down. There is no comparison. If they were not better window companies would still be selling the old style windows. Please, think what you may because it is your right but get serious.
John T.
(03-30-2017, 10:05 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Whoever said that a single pane glass with storm windows is more efficient than today's windows is nuts.

No, just science and engineering.

HUD did extensive studies on the topic to prove this.  Key points:
1. Replacement windows are rarely installed for best energy efficiency
2. Insulation is directly proportional to dead air space.  More space between panes of glass equals better energy efficiency.  That's the primary reason wood windows + storms are more energy efficient than a thermopane type window can be, simple physics.

If your windows are leaky and drafty, they will not perform well.  The study investigated properly functioning windows.