FS: Disston D42 Lightweight "Victory" Saw - Freshly Jointed/Set/Sharpened -- SOLD
Imagine my surprise when the true identity of this saw revealed itself. Thinking it was just a Disston D23, it sat for months in my to-do pile. Only after wiping off some of the dirt, did I realize that it was actually a Disston D42 Victory saw.

This particular saw was made during World War II. How do I know? The medallion style was like that used during the 1940s -- and the saw nuts were made of steel. Remember, brass and copper were needed for the war effort. Therefore, Disston used steel saw nuts with a thin plating of brass during this time.

What makes this saw special:

1) It has a double etch. The primary etch is the Disston keystone with the model number, D42, while the secondary etch is of an eagle landing on the Liberty Bell with the word "Victory" arching overhead. Both etches are deep and distinct, though part of the lettering on Victory are faint.

2) It has a wheat-carved walnut handle. While the damaged finish was removed, the handle has no damage other than a couple of small chips in the side of the top horn. It was finished with linseed oil and shellac, buffed out to a soft luster. The deep, dark coloration of the walnut is very striking.

3) It is a 7 ppi rip saw. Most rip saws were purchased with coarser teeth in the 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 ppi range. This fine toothed rip saw is intended for use during finish work. Factory cut rip saws in this range are definitely not common. It is actually the first I've seen.

The plate has been cleaned and lightly polished. There is just a little bit of staining on the back side of the plate. The teeth have been sharpened to the original profile, after jointing and setting. It cuts fast and smooth, as a fine-toothed saw should.

Price: $110 plus shipping.

Payment: PayPal preferred. Other forms of payment will be considered.

Shipping: I generally ship the same day or the next business day after receiving payment. I always compare the cost/service time between USPS, UPS, and Fedex to get the best price. There is never a charge for handling or packing, unless there is an unusual amount of effort required (like shipping a delicate item internationally).

[Image: 33299519810_a8cd215336_c.jpg]

[Image: 32870192813_dd187f9e31_c.jpg]

[Image: 33299519090_e090b3fb09_c.jpg]

[Image: 33299519250_d0f6becbb8_c.jpg]

[Image: 33642897416_30e317474a_c.jpg]

[Image: 33299519520_3ba16bd913_c.jpg]

[Image: 33642897776_94c1ca7cc5_c.jpg]

[Image: 33642897116_e42399f83f_c.jpg]
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
You always have such nice saws.  Sometime I will get us a nice crosscut and rip saws like what you sell.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
The saw sold quickly. Thanks for looking.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Beautiful work, as usual Bob! 
Yes  Seller got a very nice saw!

Doug