Size of brass split nuts and screws
What is the size and threat on the split nuts and screws for the hand saws. I would like to make my own. Need the size to drill the holes in the blade.
Thanks,   Hilmar[url=http://tgiag.com/sawnuts.html][/url]
The thread is a 10-32 and  believe that a 3/16" drill will work just fine.

Go with a carbide drill. HSS won't even dent the spring steel. Trust me on this,...I 've been there.....
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Good evening sir. Sorry for the late response.
The newer split nuts, etc. tend to be 7/32" shaft with a 32 pitch or 3/16 x 32.
However my vintage #7 ( Not split nut ) is a 7/32" shaft with a 20 pitch. So I guess it just depends whether you mean back saws with actual split nuts or Hand saws with the cap style. Have fun.
BontzSawWorks.net
http://disstonianinstitute.com/medv2.html

This might help. At least it is good reading material.
(03-27-2017, 09:57 PM)Blacky Wrote: The thread is a 10-32 and  believe that a 3/16" drill will work just fine.

Go with a carbide drill. HSS won't even dent the spring steel. Trust me on this,...I 've been there.....
Before I had carbide bits, I "spot annealed" using a correctly sized flat ended steel rod in a drill press..Lay out the hole placement, turn the press on fairly high rpm and bring the flat-ended rod down on the steel..Friction will build up hot enough draw the temper from that spot or a little larger. At that point it can be drilled with HSS.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Drill a test hole.  It could be really annoying to drill a hole in a very nice piece of wood only to find that it's 1/16" too big and it leaves a little reveal around the head of the bolt.

Of course, I'm saying this purely hypothetically.  It has never, ever happened to me.  And certainly not on two different saw handles.
Uhoh
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Thank You very much for the information. Nice article on the Disston Site.
Thanks again for the information.
Hilmar