weathering teak ply?
Here's a crazy question...

I'm thinking of building a project out of teak and then leaving it outside during the summer to weather (turn grey and dry out the wood).  Parts of the project will be constructed from teak plywood.

Would the plywood be able to take a summer exposed to sun and rain?
I think the plywood would delamenate if exposed to rain,unless you seal the edges.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I don't think even sealing the edges would make plywood last outside.   If this is teak veneered plywood, the moisture would just  pass through the thin veneer even if it was teak.    Roly
How about marine-grade teak plywood?
(03-28-2017, 02:38 PM)Ravenswood Chicago Wrote: How about marine-grade teak plywood?

Sounds really inexpensive too
Laugh  
Laugh  
Laugh  
Laugh

If it were marine grade it should work, but so would a lot of less expensive options. Plus..........

Teak veneer plywood generally does not qualify as being a true "marine grade". So long as your end product will not be exposed directly to the elements.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I think your answer is here 

weatherwood stains

it is not cheap...... I was skeptical at first but no longer.   I just used it on an entry door and it has met all the expectations of the clients and two designers who have seen it.

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(03-28-2017, 08:34 AM)Ravenswood Chicago Wrote: ...Would the plywood be able to take a summer exposed to sun and rain?

Maybe one summer.

Why plywood? Solid teak will weather just fine.
Wood is good. 
"Why plywood?"

I'm thinking of doing a coffered ceiling in my bathroom.  I was going to do the construction Tilton style and use plywood for the panels.
"I'm thinking of doing a coffered ceiling in my bathroom."

That is not leaving it outside (exposed to sun and rain) to weather.
Wood is good. 
"That is not leaving it outside (exposed to sun and rain) to weather."

The Tilton system builds the coffers in independent modules.  The modules are then hung on the ceiling one at a time.  If i do this, i can leave the modules to weather outdoors before I install them.