Tommy Mac Rough Cut Woodworking
I have been watching Tommy MacDonald of Rough Cut Woodworking build his new woodworking shop on his property in Massachusetts.

It is absolutely beautiful. However, I do not know why he has an two levels. Not sure if downstairs will be for power and upstairs for handtools?

I would prefer to work on one level for ease of moving materials.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

I think it's just as simple as available space.  It's also cheaper to heat a 2-story workshop vs. a larger single story workshop.

Edit: He does say in the first episode that cost was a consideration which drove him to 2 floors. While he had 5 acres of property, he had to clear a lot of trees and brush, then add a foundation. The smaller footprint of the 2-story shop was considerably less expensive than a larger single-story shop. I his stationary tools are all on the first floor. The "office" and design space is on the second floor.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Those episodes started last Sept around here, and i managed to miss almost all of them, but saw maybe 3-4 of the final ones. At first i though he was pulling a Scott Phillips, who did an entire season (+some later odds and ends) on the building of hs castle, but Tommie's approach was a lot more likeable (to me). Like you I was curious about the second floor shop... I think maybe he's too young to know what a bad idea that is
Laugh . But that was a nice building he put up. I did catch the episode where he went back and scavenged the cabinets from his old digs to put in the new place, that had just a little actual woodworking in it. I'm trying to catch the remaining episodes on re-run from our local PBS. But darn!, I miss the days of David Marks and Norm.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-28-2017, 09:24 AM)fredhargis Wrote: But darn!, I miss the days of David Marks and Norm.

Yup.  Saturday mornings starting at 10:00.  Like my worn but super-comfy work boots that could use a little stitching and glue.

And don't forget to wear these [tap tap] safety glasses.  
Laugh
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I miss David Marks too. I'd buy the dvds if they weren't so outrageously priced. I'm all for somebody making a profit and keeping their content off YouTube but dang he's proud of those things!
-Marc

David Marks was on one of the older Tommy Mac shows.  T Mac picked up a lot of new tools, way different than Norm.   Looking forward to the new programs next year.
Video 
Good ole Norm.

(03-28-2017, 09:35 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Yup.  Saturday mornings starting at 10:00.  Like my worn but super-comfy work boots that could use a little stitching and glue.

And don't forget to wear these [tap tap] safety glasses.  
Laugh

Yup. We had 3 NYW episodes over two days to see. Much like childhood, my weekend schedule was determined by the showing times.
So, perhaps it is good they are gone.....
Wink ...not!  
Smile
Ag
I really liked Norm and miss him a lot.  I remember in Montana every Saturday I would go in and watch it and go back to what I was doing.  The only time I missed him was at work when I would not watch him on the shop TV or when I was over seas.

Never made anything but always enjoyed watching him.  I think it was a crying shame that people emailed him and criticized him for something new or a different way he did things sometimes and he got so tired of it he quit.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-28-2017, 10:22 AM)WaterlooMarc Wrote: I miss David Marks too. I'd buy the dvds if they weren't so outrageously priced. I'm all for somebody making a profit and keeping their content off YouTube but dang he's proud of those things!

I believe that DIY channel really charged a fortune for the rights to the material Marc and the processing cost for David and Victoria was quite high. I don't believe he makes nearly as much as you might think on them as a result.

I would like to see the entire set offered for a discount also, but I can't fault him for trying to recoup his costs as the cable network is the greedy one here sadly
Sad

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem