Material for garage storage
What do you use when making carts, cabinets and other garage storage things? I know I can get the nice high dollar furniture grade stuff and make it all look pretty but i am looking for the cost effective alternative. I have tried construction grade plywood but that stuff warps so bad it is difficult to make square boxes. Baltic Birch ply is nice to work with but gets pricey. Is there anything in the middle that is nice to work with but reasonably priced? I am willing to give up looks for price.
I guess you go to the Big Box store and take your chances with their Chinese plywood.  Occasionally, I have been able to buy a few sheets at Home Depot that are OK but it is a rarity and they don't have anything of quality at a decent price on a regular basis.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Do you have a good building materials supply house or lumber yard in your location? If so, ask them. I made my last shop cabinets from a nice grade of construction plywood - probably one grade below cabinet grade ply. It did not have the nice cabinet face veneer, but it was flat and hasn't warped at all. It wasn't as expensive as cabinet grade stuff, but it wasn't cheap either. Be willing to spend a little money. if you buy cheap plywood, you get just that - cheap plywood.
Aracou plywood. Virtually knot free and very good stuff. Depot has it occasionally but only in 3/4.
I'm not sure Robert has it spelled correct but I also like aruca ? Ply menards have it in 1/4 1/2 and three quarters and what ever way it is spelled it is nice flat plywood some type of pine I belive and some what reasonable
I use dimensional lumber. If you're picky and get the long, wide stuff, often you can get some pretty decent boards--good enough for shop storage, certainly.

Do the math, but I've found that sometimes dimensional lumber is cheaper per square foot than is good-quality plywood. Obviously you can get cheap, nasty plywood for less than solid pine. But if what you really need is strong, sturdy, economical wood, then get some dimensional lumber, let it acclimate, and use it.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Melamine veneer particle board? You need to cover the exposed ends but it is cheap. Heavy as can be, but cheap and flat. I would put cabinets on a dimensional lumber base to keep the cases off the floor, but you can make fine cabinets and shelving units with it. For carts, I'd use baltic birch or a better quality of plywood to get the strength and smooth finish you would probably like for that purpose.
These are not in a garage but are made of melamine covered particle board:
[Image: 1117112253_zpsvymzav2r.jpg]
The shelving units:
[Image: 1015111851_zpsl3axahkq.jpg]
(03-29-2017, 11:40 AM)oakey Wrote: I'm not sure Robert has it spelled correct but I also like aruca ? Ply menards have it in 1/4  1/2 and three quarters  and what ever way it is spelled it is nice flat plywood some type of pine I belive and some what reasonable

I have seen at least two spelling for the same ply. Not sure which is right or if there are different brands. Is made from a different type of pine tree that grows in south America and has very few branches and grows straight and tall. 

Yeah I have even seen Baltic birch at menards when I'm doing projects up north. I love menards cause they carry stuff in stock that I can't even special order here from  a specialty supplier... I'm actually planning on going up to the menards in Kansas to buy gutters because I can't get the color or size I need here from any supplier. It's either white plastic or brown aluminum or leaf guard style. Leaf guard through costco gave an estimate of $50 a linear foot...
MDO is a little more expensive, but is very nice to work with. More water resistant, paints up nice, good weight to strength ratio. I've built a few things with it, and have never been disappointed.
shifty