Material for garage storage
Another vote for melamine covered particle board.

I also see if I can use the predrilled, precut long boards that come in 12" or 16" widths even though it might cost me a little more.  Saves me from having to lift a full sheet or having to clean up the chipped edge when I bring it home.
i get baltic birch from my plywood supplier for $52 a sheet, 4x8 3/4".  just used 47 sheets for my garage.  spray it with a water-based clear, two coats, the stuff is durable, looks great, and doesn't need face frames.

--- dz
Really really cheap way? Cut cheap left over pine 2x4's or 1x6's down to size for framing, then cover with 1/4" ply. More work, less cost.
Just depends on if you look at it as a garage, and just want utility? Or do you want a laundry room to do woodworking in? I'm going to use CDX plywood, OSB, and 2x4 lumber. Whatever I can get the lowest cost on. Yeah I'm strange, I get that.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Look at the Cabinets at Goodwill/Salvation Army/HfH Restore.  Lots of good quality and very reasonable
I used BB for my rolling tool cabinets and storage drawers.  I have a nice hand tool cabinet I made from cherry.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I go to the local Peddler's Mall. They have 2 booths that contain what looks to be cut-offs from a local cabinet shop. The larger pieces are generally 26" by 96" and there is usually a nice selection of maple, cherry, oak, etc...   Also a mix of MDF core, Poplar core (which is what I look for) and import core (which I avoid).  

I save a lot of money for what I feel is quality furniture grade ply. Much better then what Lowes carries.

Also, the local Restore (Homes for Humanities) store will sometimes have cut-offs.
Two items I have not seen mentioned are Pallets and Reclaimed wood.  I have used both.  I have a metal detector wand I use before I put any tools to it.  I don't worry about nail holes in the finished product.  

I also re-purpose rather than build.   I have grabbed some retail store cabinets after a remodel.  Kitchen cabinets work also.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
What Cecile said.
I built a work hutch using pallet plywood and used pine boards for a little framing to hold it straight. But I did use borg 1/2" cabinet ply for the draw boxes and faces which is the part I can see.
Built my router table with mdf and painted. Looks good, flat, and plenty durable for that. I used a piece of pallet plywood underneath for additional strength for the base and wheels.
Ray