Laser Engravers, CNC Routers, Etc
It seems like Rockler is really pushing this new type of technology on the average woodworker as the next wave of woodworking.  Personally, I don't see them as something that I want in my own shop.  I guess I'm old school enough to want the make the cut or chop the mortise myself rather than program a machine to do it for me.  I recognize that there has been a lot of technology introduced in woodworking since my Grandfather's day but none of it involved programming a computer to do something.  I guess I'm just old and resistant to change but I know I would rather spend $4,000 on wood than on a machine that takes the joy out of woodworking.

How do the rest of you feel about the potential impact of computer controlled machines in woodworking?
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
I can only speak for myself but it certainly does NOT "takes the joy out of woodworking". I've had a CNC in my shop for 5+ years and it expands and enhances my woodworking. A lot of projects are built the "old fashioned" way in my shop but they might have a custom carving in them to enhance the project... ie a jewelry box with a heart shape and anniversary date carved into the side. Other things that I wouldn't even attempt with traditional WW tools are made easily and accurately on the CNC. It's really just another tool in my shop that opens up a whole lot of other possibilities.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
I look at it more as the fact that people will spend money on a hobby and once they have a fully equipped shop they might consider those purchases as prices come down which they have.
TusconLawrence, a member of the forum, has used CNC carving to make some pretty amazing plaques and awards for folks.  Knowing how to use the machine well is a skill.  Also, I've seen laser engravers used to put designs or names on pens.  You still have to turn the pen and finish it.  Nothing wrong with that, IMO.  I am not sure the investment in those kinds of machines makes a lot of sense unless you are selling something, though.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
There are two parts to woodworking hobby:

1. The journey of making it.. the fun of cutting your own mortises/dovetails by hand for example, making jigs or whatever.

2. Just getting the job done, because your wife wants the kitchen done ASAP , your kid wants a desk or whatever.

I have a homebuilt CNC.. Now, I spent a lot of time building it and tuning it.
But it replaced a lot of tools in my shop, so the expense is justifiable.
Once I was done with the CNC , I was able to sell the following.

1. molder .. I do not make much crown, so it doesn't matter to me that it takes the CNC a lot longer to do it.
2. wood rat
3. Leigh dovetail jig
4 Mortiser
5. Line boring attachment to mortiser
6. Leigh FMT
7.  I could have sold my domino if I really wanted to, but I use it enough that the extra speed is worth it.
8. I can cut full sheets of plywood perfectly on mine, so no need for a fancy Festool circular saw and rails. I am not saying it is better or easier on the CNC, but I can do that functionality.

I did my kitchen, all the uppers were solid wood. I had to make about 40-50 tapered sliding dovetail joints. Very easy and accurate on the CNC. That saved me tons of time. Numerous other things that the CNC has done well which has saved me tons of time, and saved me a lot of frustration and redo time.
CNC is not for everyone, but it does not take the joy of woodworking away from me. Also, you get to make an entirely new set of mistakes on the CNC when you are learning
Smile
I've seen some beautiful items posted here that were made with a CNC. However, it's not woodworking. There are no woodworking skills involved with carving a cool sign with a CNC.

<--- former CNC operator and programer
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

That's my opinion too but I was trying to be nice.  I know I'm old school and I certainly don't begrudge anyone doing work with a CNC machine.  I've seen some beautiful work done by machine but it just doesn't feel like woodworking to me.  Since my only customer is me, that's who I have to please.  Even when I make something for someone else I make it the way I'd make it for me and to my standards, which makes me the customer regardless of who the piece is for.  Does it take me longer, for sure, but that's OK, I've got lots of time to do it the way I want to.

I stopped at Rockler today looking for some walnut (no dice) and they had a CNC router carving a butterfly.  It came out beautifully.  The employee programming the machine was older than I am so obviously it isn't just age that makes me resistant to a computer controlled machine.  I guess I'm just a Luddite!!

Winkgrin
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
(03-29-2017, 02:57 PM)CLETUS Wrote: I've seen some beautiful items posted here that were made with a CNC. However, it's not woodworking. There are no woodworking skills involved with carving a cool sign with a CNC.

<--- former CNC operator and programer

I'm not sure that I agree with that. I suppose in the narrow scope of just carving that you are correct but a completed sign takes a lot more than just throwing it on the CNC. The material still needs to be prepped for the CNC (jointer, planer, table saw) then the material needs to be prepped for finishing (scrapers, chisels, drum sander, ROS) then it needs to be finished (spray HVLP). That's all part of woodworking skills IMHO.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
(03-29-2017, 03:18 PM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: I'm not sure that I agree with that. I suppose in the narrow scope you are correct but a completed sign takes a lot more than just throwing it on the CNC. The material still needs to be prepped for the CNC (jointer, planer, table saw) then the material needs to be prepped for finishing (scrapers, chisels, drum sander, ROS) then it needs to be finished (spray HVLP). That's all part of woodworking skills IMHO.

Or you can buy 1X material, some sandpaper and wipe on poly.
Winkgrin

My point is that all of the "wow" factor was done by the machine.

Not looking to argue, just how I see it.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I slid down that slippery slope for both CNC and Laser engraving.  It's had a profound affect on how I view and execute a project.  I try to incorporate some element of either machine into every project now.  I've never contemplated making a living as a woodworker but have made more than enough money on commissioned work to pay for both machines and contemplate larger format, professional grade machines.  They're just tools.