Laser Engravers, CNC Routers, Etc
You can simply look at opportunities in life or not.
You can complain about life or look for opportunities.
For some, traditional woodworking will be great fulfillment and for others will be one of many steps in life.
CNC is simply another tool and another opportunity for those interested in the adventure.
I purchased a sawmill 6 years ago and have found this the very best tool I own. I do not build anything out of 3/4" material, the opportunities for any size has opended up the designs I make and the projects I build. A CNC could do the very same for those interested in expanding what they do.
There is no right or wrong here, simply choices for you to enjoy.
Have fun always!!!!
I suppose it's good to work both with your hands and some electronic devices. I mean it can perform a great productivity and it would high quality products. I'm not that kind of person who will spend a great amount of money for some additional equipment, but still, i don't think it should be removed completely. You can organize small manufacture process on your own of course,but there are some things that hard to do on our own, im going to  purchase some small gasoline engraver for cutting some signature. I looked at these cost-effective models  bestadvisor , they don't have high performance,but they can be useful for small output
Honestly could not agree more. 

I have been programming and operating CNC machines for 20+ years. When I started, the g-code had to be written line by line as a text file. I needed to know every X,Y coordinate that the machine would run to. Even simple programs could take days to write.

I recently programmed and ran a program to make a pie crust table. Two-sided machining, two levels of pocketing. Had to be indexed properly for both the top and bottom machining. 

The craftsmanship of drawing and programming the machine AND getting out of the machine what you were thinking of is not far different from hand carving, just in a different way.

How is using a CNC or Laser any different than usigna jointer and planer to mill solid stock to flat and smooth over using a hand plane? Or using an electric router with a shaped bit to make a molding rather than using a series of hand planes to make the profile? Or ripping the board with a table saw rather than hand sawing? A dovetail jig over hand cut? 

At what level do you consider your way different from the “old way”? 

I think we all have our thoughts on this, but what is the point of stirring the pot by dissing other fo1k’s ways of woodworking just because YOU think it is “cheating”?.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(03-29-2017, 08:15 AM)gMike Wrote: It seems like Rockler is really pushing this new type of technology on the average woodworker as the next wave of woodworking.  Personally, I don't see them as something that I want in my own shop.  I guess I'm old school enough to want the make the cut or chop the mortise myself rather than program a machine to do it for me.  I recognize that there has been a lot of technology introduced in woodworking since my Grandfather's day but none of it involved programming a computer to do something.  I guess I'm just old and resistant to change but I know I would rather spend $4,000 on wood than on a machine that takes the joy out of woodworking.

How do the rest of you feel about the potential impact of computer controlled machines in woodworking?

For me I use it all the time. I have my eye on a second machine (my current has a 12 x 18 envelope) that is 2' x 4'. 

I have a business, and do a ton of carving and engraving, but for jig making, nothing is better. Now if I was a hobbiest, I cant disagree, but then again if I was just a hobbiest I would have bought any of my festool stuff, my 17" BS, my stationary planer, etc. I do think for some, especially the younger crowd of woodworkers, a CNC can take the place of a lot of tools just like a table saw and jointer took the place of a handsaw and #4 jointer.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I hate those new newfangled techno computer tools. Seriously, using them is NO fun at all.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(03-29-2017, 08:15 AM)gMike Wrote: It seems like Rockler is really pushing this new type of technology on the average woodworker as the next wave of woodworking.  Personally, I don't see them as something that I want in my own shop.  I guess I'm old school enough to want the make the cut or chop the mortise myself rather than program a machine to do it for me.  I recognize that there has been a lot of technology introduced in woodworking since my Grandfather's day but none of it involved programming a computer to do something.  I guess I'm just old and resistant to change but I know I would rather spend $4,000 on wood than on a machine that takes the joy out of woodworking.

How do the rest of you feel about the potential impact of computer controlled machines in woodworking?

I took up woodworking to get away from computers - I'm a power tool guy rather than hand tools and a bit of a tech gadget guy to boot.   While I have to say that I am intrigued by the CNC and laser devices and what they are capable of doing to enhance what I build, I am troubled a bit by computers finding their way into my escape from computers.   I imagine sometime I will give in and have one in my shop, but  it is not without some hesitation.  Then there is the cost of entry into a decent sized system - they are not for the faint of heart....

Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
I’ve been using CNC in some form for about ten years (I’m almost 60 years old now).
I’ve had my latest machine for about six years. Mine is mostly used for drudge work or for things I need a lot of accuracy like wooden hinges for example. I do woodworking as a business, so I need to use my time as efficiently as possible. I’m not going to put 40 hours into a project only to have it sit in some gallery for years because the price is too high. The CNC has actually enabled me to buy more wood because I can sell projects faster and more profitably.
I’ve been working with computers since I was 14, so I’m quite comfortable using this. I look at it as simply another tool to “work wood”.
VH07V  
(02-17-2018, 11:16 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: I hate those new newfangled techno computer tools. Seriously, using them is NO fun at all.

Seriously.  This made me laugh.  considering the source.
I am currently planning to add a CNC to my shop this year.  I love electronics.  I love woodworking.  Why not put the two together.  I expect it to be a lot of fun.  If someone wants to consider it cheating so be it.  I could care less.  I have a whole shop full of tools/toys for my enjoyment.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
(02-21-2018, 08:08 PM)loosetoe Wrote: Seriously.  This made me laugh.  considering the source.

Wink