Butcher Block questions
My DIL has asked me to make her a butcher block counter with a drawer underneath. Is there anything wrong with making this in an edge grain orientation? This will probably be about 24" wide and 16-18" deep, so I'm obviously trying to mitigate the cuts and joints. If making an end grain counter is the correct way, that's what I'll do. I have heard that end grain cutting boards have issues with bacteria, but I've never made one. Thanks!!
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Absolutely fine.  I've done it.   Easy, beautiful and durable.
Mine was about 2¼" thick and has served my son (the recipient) very well.
“Poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten”
Dave as far as bacteria, if you Google around you will find some saying plastic is best, wood is terrible, and some saying wood is best, and plastic is awful. Like any "research testing" you can make it say what you want it to. Facts are your old time butchers used wooden blocks that while being much thicker than the average cutting board thickness, were sanitized with salt. Modern day a light cleanser will work fine, or some dish cleaner. You just don't want to saturate the wood, clean and dry off. The finish is Mineral oil, sold as a laxative at most any pharmacy, put it on till it soaks in, and any time it starts looking dry, reapply. Some mix Mineral oil, and melted canning wax. I use this, and it seems to stay on better than just MO.

Making a cutting board counter top. I would argue for a Formica, Rock, or man made solid as the top, and then make a big old cutting board to sit on it. Over the years you will have a much longer lasting top, with a lot less maintenance.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
We have a 2" thick maple on edge 30" x 36" counter top on the island I built that is a huge chop block. We use it for what it is. Cut up chickens and whatever. It's over 30 years old and doing fine.
After using it for cutting meats, we use a mild bleach solution with a sponge.
Once a year I scrape it and oil it a little to clean it up, but if you use it a lot and it stays damp, oiling isn't really needed it seems. Just don't let it dry out completely.

If we were ever move, I would have to have the chop block! Those little chopping boards would never do.

I also have a 22" x 22" x 16" thick chop block on legs we got in 1972 out in storage. We use it sometimes for parties or get togethers. We use to use it all the time, but I was afraid it might fall over on the kids, so I took it out. It would crush you.
Good stuff. Thanks folks!!!
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
I'll second the addition of paraffin wax being melted into the mineral oil. The water beads up very nicely. I'm sure the Boos board paste/cream type treatments are thickened with a similar wax. The satin-like sheen it leaves behind after buffing is perfect.