Porter cable belt sander drive shaft replacementt
Hi, has anyone replaced the drive roller pulley on a Porter Cable 352VS belt sander? While removing the roller to clear a jam, the bolt that threads into the drive shaft snapped off (my fault not paying attention to it being reverse threaded). Attempts to drill out the bolt have failed. The replacement shaft looks to be ~$20. So not too bad. BUT I'm not sure I see how to remove it.

Thanks for reading.

Attached Files Image(s)

I'll give you a bump for this.  I've never tried this, maybe someone will have another idea on just removing the broken bolt.
Any chance you can contact the place selling you the replacement so you can see if it's threaded or pressed in?
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I would assume that shaft is pressed in but ddon't know for sure. I would drill a hole in the broken bolt then using an extractor and apply heat or cold try to work it out. Canned air for cleaning computers works great for freezing bolts (spray upside down). 

Didn't see where you are but if near me I'd be happy to do it for you.
Toolmiser, thanks for the bump, looks like it worked
Smile

Bob10, not a bad idea.  Its an online place so an email is cheap way to check.

Robert Adamns, wow thanks thats a very kind offer, I'm in MA, so not too close unfortunately.  I had actually tried that and my string of bad luck continued, the drill bit is now broken off in the shaft as well.  

On the other side of the sander housing, is the wheel for the belt.  I was thinking maybe to remove that wheel, but haven't figure out if that is threaded or pressed yet either.

Appreciate the replies!
Arghh getting broken bits out is not fun. I haven't found found a pic of that part either to see how it's put in. 

I haven't had that size pc sander in a long time but I do still have a couple of the 4x24 sanders. I looked at it and I'm not sure how they are put in but it seems pressed or cast in however if you can get the part it can't be cast in. 

Well when you do find out let us know for future knowledge.
Isn't the shaft attached to the part that adjusts the tracking ? If so maybe removing the tracking part may provide insight as to how it is attached.   Roly
If I'm looking at it right- It's a through shaft and is threaded on the other side with the belt/pulley. You'll have to take apart the other side and remove the nut to take it out and slide it through the bushings.

#40 shaft. #31a pulley, #111 nut.

[Image: part_698038.gif?osCsid=406dm7q6to94ae5v7lc053avq3]

[Image: 352VS_TYPE_3_WW_1.gif]
I was thinking the front shaft is the bad one. (40A)   Roly
(04-02-2017, 07:45 AM)Roly Wrote: I was thinking the front shaft is the bad one. (40A)   Roly

I think you're right.

He said "Drive pulley", that's what threw me off.