Vfd for lathe
Can somebody recommend a cheaper vfd for a Powermatic model 90 lathe. It has a 1.5 hp 3 phase motor on it? A friend of mine recommended ABB but I thought that was pricey. I was hoping for something less expensive.

***Banned***
I do not know anything about them but some of the guys do and am sure they will be around.

Also welcome to the forum glad to have you.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I'm thinking this is spam .... a person with the same user name posted on an IT website with a PDF link for an information sheet for encoders from the same source website of www.clrwtr.com now is here posting information on VFDs from them.  Sorry if you're actually looking for information, but it sure smells of spam.
Clearwater has been one of my suppliers for over 21 years now. I use them often when I have tech questions or need to buy electrical products. They recommended ABB since they sell that. I wanted to see what others are using and if I can finder cheaper drive. I'm certainly not spamming.
(03-31-2017, 01:34 PM)cams2705 Wrote: I'm thinking this is spam .... a person with the same user name posted on an IT website with a PDF link for an information sheet for encoders from the same source website of www.clrwtr.com now is here posting information on VFDs from them.  Sorry if you're actually looking for information, but it sure smells of spam.

Between your response and it being the poster's first post, I would not recommend clicking on the link (sorry Arlin).
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Yes or now do you guys have any info for him?  If Luke is sinecure he will like it and keep coming around hopefully and if not he will leave.

Luke

Guys are gun shy since we have had a lot of spammers since the website went to a new owners.

Also I did not click on it since I did not notice it until now.  Go figure I tend to trust people and forget there are bad people out there.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-31-2017, 01:34 PM)cams2705 Wrote: I'm thinking this is spam .... a person with the same user name posted on an IT website with a PDF link for an information sheet for encoders from the same source website of www.clrwtr.com now is here posting information on VFDs from them.  Sorry if you're actually looking for information, but it sure smells of spam.

Clearwater Technologies, Inc. is a legitimate company with a BBB rating of A+ (zero complaints on file).  I kinda doubt this is a scam.  The link takes you to a legitimate website for Clearwater.  There are zero malware alerts or anything like that coming from my fairly sophisticated computer security tools at work.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
The company may be valid with an A+ rating ... and this guy works there according to a web search ... he's asking us for advice on a product (VFD) his company sells by posting a tech sheet for it on a site where people tend to look for advice on where to buy VFDs?  Does that make it sound innocent or suspicious?
Several people, including me, have had good luck with Teco drives from Factorymation.com The model you want will depend on both the motor size and the bells and whistles you want.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Guys, if none of the other moderators step in in the interim, I'll give this a better look in the AM.
While the clickbait sounding question seems disingenuous on the face of it, and I would caution you from jumping on it, I just don't have the time or attention span right now to investigate it and come down one way or the other..

That being said, while my general rule of saying that someone that is not a regular contributor may have an unknown agenda tends to serve as a good red flag for me, I can't say which side this one falls on.

My advice, "No lifeguard on duty, swim at your own risk."

Doesn't mean the water is bad for you, just that you go into it duly warned.
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne