Greenlee Tools catalog, circa 1978
Something to share:

This "Greenlee Fine Quality Woodworking Tools, for the discriminating craftsman" catalog recently found its way to me. It is No. W-1 and dated June 1, 1978. Twentysix pages, no prices shown, mostly color. 

Chisels, carving sets, and screwdrivers are featured along with an array of bits & augers, sharpening stones and even a solid maple workbench "Built to the same standard as fine European benches costing many times its price."

Fun to know this type of thing is still out there.

Attached Files Image(s)

Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy, that doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.
www.WestHillsWood.com
www.HOPublishing.com
FACEBOOK: #WoodShopWednesday
This catalog was advertised in Fine Woodworking. I sent a dollar for the catalog about six months later but never received anything. I wrote to Fine Woodworking; they said they did not know what happened to Greenlee and did not even apologize.

Greenlee had been good manufacturer fifty years earlier. The company was still in existence in 1978 but no longer made chisels. I think they put their name on someone else's tools just to trade on their old reputation. Apparently there was no W-2 catalog.
The catalog came to me via my shop neighbor, a mechanic who does a lot of charity work. She collects then distributes books to in-need children and schools.When she comes across woodworking items, they get pulled aside for me.

With the catalog I also got a Sunset publication of Woodcarving Techniques & Projects, fifteenth printing, 1985. And a much older Principles of Woodworking by Herman Hjorth, 13th printing 1943 -- a former library book.
Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy, that doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.
www.WestHillsWood.com
www.HOPublishing.com
FACEBOOK: #WoodShopWednesday
Politics 
(03-31-2017, 10:48 PM)Harold O. Wrote: Something to share:

This "Greenlee Fine Quality Woodworking Tools, for the discriminating craftsman" catalog recently found its way to me. It is No. W-1 and dated June 1, 1978. Twentysix pages, no prices shown, mostly color. 

Chisels, carving sets, and screwdrivers are featured along with an array of bits & augers, sharpening stones and even a solid maple workbench "Built to the same standard as fine European benches costing many times its price."

Fun to know this type of thing is still out there.
Those were President Jimmy Carter days..Inflation was so bad that companies were reluctant to print prices in their catalogs because they were always increasing...Instead, most included a price sheet which were updated often...I miss those old catalogs.....
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset