WooHoo! It's April 1
Thank you Rob.

I appreciate the consideration for those of us with aging eyes.  The fact that all four accessories can be mounted at once is the cherry on top.

BTW, I want a tool that holds a pencil or scribe the way that Sharpie is held.  I usually end up scribing lines on sheet metal using my calipers.  That is not exactly the best treatment of their tips.
Why on Earth they focus on precision and yet use a thick line making "sharpie" is beyond me.

If they can get that $300.00+ dollar cost down a bit (with options), it would look more temping, but some of those options are redundant for myself. Perhaps the accessories could be sold "each" instead of set of 4.?
"Designed by a committee of woodworkers ranging from novice to neophyte"
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne
(04-01-2017, 09:20 AM)daddo Wrote: Why on Earth they focus on precision and yet use a thick line making "sharpie" is beyond me.

If they can get that $300.00+ dollar cost down a bit (with options), it would look more temping, but some of those options are redundant for myself. Perhaps the accessories could be sold "each" instead of set of 4.?

Check your calendar.
Are those set up rods made of that silicone sealant tape? I'm thinking there is too much fake science in the descriptive spiel. No humongous world industrial corporation would consider using costly Lignum (wood) in its products.

On another front, Gary Rogowski has changed the name of his Master Program to Pretty Good Program. He is such a talented individual. So disheartening to see him struggle to maintain status quo. If he let his hair down another two inches the craft and art world would see a new nova of lignum brilliance.

Then Wunder Woods (not lignum--yes, Spell Check, that's spelled correctly) has a 4-prop drone from surplus espresso machines that is repurposed for remote sanding use. The package includes three grit sizes in white, red, and black. We predict black grit to be the most popular ... for black ops use.
For those who don't know the history of Lee Valley, go ahead and click on the add to shopping cart button.  And, again, today is...?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-01-2017, 08:54 AM)Anak Wrote: I usually end up scribing lines on sheet metal using my calipers.  That is not exactly the best treatment of their tips.

While I'm hesitant to introduce practicality in this thread, if you're scribing a lot of lines close to and parallel to an edge on sheet metal, get a chunk of 16 gauge metal, maybe 4" square, and cut little triangular fixed gauges on each edge, for the distances you commonly need - cut up from one end to about an inch shy of the other end, at slightly more than the distance you want; cut at an angle, 45 degrees or so but precision not needed, from the edge to meet that line, leaving a triangular part sticking out.  Cut from the edge down toward the point, so that the point is inboard from the edge a bit; you can use that final cut to set your distance precisely.

I found an odd marking gauge with an aluminum body that I dedicated to marking on metal, including sheet metal, for intermediate measurements.

For scribing lines in the field on sheet metal, a cheap (Horrible Fright or similar) carbide scriber should do the job.
(04-01-2017, 09:27 AM)ModSE Wrote: Check your calendar.

Today is the year of our Lord April 1st 2017.

Hey! Guess what?

I knew it all along.
Uhoh
Doesn't everyone already wring gauge blocks to set their marking gauges?

How else do you set them?
"Have a very small amount of things to work with." Henri Cartier-Bresson
I'm just glad they added the laser. It's about time their hand tools started coming with lasers. They even promise precision "with minimal scorching"!
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop