100 year old milling marks
I just cleaned up a type 10 bench plane (1907-1909) and was fascinated by the milling marks on the bottom of the frog. I like the abstract pattern. But then maybe I have been cleaning up waaaay too many planes recently.

[Image: DSCN2720.jpg]

By the way--didja ever wonder what the difference was between a type 9 and a type 10? If this knotty question has been keeping you up nights lately, worry no more. Here are frog seats from a type 9 (bottom) and type 10 (top).

[Image: DSCN2719.jpg]

And now you know "the rest of the story."
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
So, let's say you have a Stanley Bailey #5. Now, I can only presume that their first iteration back in 1850(something or other) was a Type 1. Fast forward to 1945 and the Type 10 comes into play. So maybe every ten years or so they change the Type number????
(04-01-2017, 07:02 PM)Dayle1960 Wrote: So, let's say you have a Stanley Bailey #5.  Now, I can only presume that their first iteration back in 1850(something or other) was a Type 1.  Fast forward to 1945 and the Type 10 comes into play.  So maybe every ten years or so they change the Type number????

Naw, types change frequently, based on "improvements" which are really just design changes. Look here

http://hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_ben..._study.php
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I love this stuff. Now I'm going to start paying attention to milling marks... like I really need this.

I have a Stanley 55 which was owned by my grandfather. He made a nice pine box for it and it's parts and irons and in the box are shavings that he made. The handle on the box is made from a turned and drilled pine knot. Who does that stuff? The shavings aren't 100 years old but we're guessing they're about 80 year old.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(04-02-2017, 06:50 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I love this stuff. Now I'm going to start paying attention to milling marks... like I really need this.

I have a Stanley 55 which was owned by my grandfather. He made a nice pine box for it and it's parts and irons and in the box are shavings that he made. The handle on the box is made from a turned and drilled pine knot. Who does that stuff? The shavings aren't 100 years old but we're guessing they're about 80 year old.

Your grandfather's home made box sounds "picture worthy" to me.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I was thinking the same thing and with the shavings to
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Yea, the ol' no pics, hasn't/didn't happen
Winkgrin
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Proudly
Yes 

[Image: VacationWashington121.jpg]

The handle is made from a pine knot, wire and square head bolts.
[Image: VacationWashington123.jpg]

[Image: VacationWashington120.jpg]

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

[Image: VacationWashington118.jpg]

[Image: 002.jpg]

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Sweet
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020