What is a 'P' trap
My washer drain has an S trap.  I need to make some changes in that area, so I want to bring it up to code.  What is the minimum length of the trap arm for a 'P' trap.  Thanks
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Is this what your doing ?   If so two times the trap diameter.    Roly
[Image: 60397d1353509522-s-trap-plumbing-s-trap.jpg]
Yep, that is exactly what I am doing.  Thanks
Note how it is measured.     Roly
That would be better if there was a vent or AAV on the vertical.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

The reason we no longer use P-Traps is because they siphon the trap dry, making them useless.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(04-04-2017, 06:30 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: The reason we no longer use P-Traps is because they siphon the trap dry, making them useless.

Ahha. Learn something every day.
Laugh

So our kitchen drain is that way (old way). But I don't see a way to change it, as the waste pipe is right there by the sink outlet. My trap is twisted back around itself
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(04-04-2017, 06:30 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: The reason we no longer use P-Traps is because they siphon the trap dry, making them useless.

Do you mean S traps instead of P traps ?   Roly

(04-04-2017, 12:37 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Ahha. Learn something every day.
Laugh

So our kitchen drain is that way (old way). But I don't see a way to change it, as the waste pipe is right there by the sink outlet. My trap is twisted back around itself

The 'S' trap may allow a siphon, not a 'P' trap, according to what I find (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU8aMK2NmI8).  This happens when a high volume of water is drained.  When a toilet drains, it always empties enough of the trap to break the seal and let the sewage gasses into the house.  However, the toilet also replenishes the bowl, to refill the trap.

In my case, I recently purchased a wood shop with a house attached.  The previous DIY owner made many errors.  A laundry was added, with an 'S' trap and no vent on that end of the house.  I am putting on a roof, so I am taking this opportunity to add a vent and, at the same time, putting in a 'P' trap.  I will need to update the kitchen and bath sink as well, eventually.  In the meantime, any time I pull the plug to drain a sink, I remember to follow up with a little from the tap.
(04-04-2017, 12:43 PM)Roly Wrote: Do you mean S traps instead of P traps ?   Roly

Yea oops. Sorry fellas.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay