Jorgensen 3 in. Hold-Down Clamp --not popular anymore?
[Image: s-l400.jpg]

Why is this type of hold down clamps losing popularity? 

They seem to be very economical to use. Your can just set up threaded holes wherever you want  and insert a 3/8 inch hex bolt to use with these clamps. When not needed the bolt can be removed without any obstruction. 

What are some disadvantages of these clamps?
Their reach between the anchor and the pressure disk is rather limited, only about 1.5 inches.

They are rather tall.

They require turning.

But the pressure is great, greater than toggle type hold downs. 

The have no footprint, not in the way, when not needed. The hex bolt can be taken out.
I still  have one and use it occasionally.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

I think the answer I would give is that clamp requires placement on a bench, and then you have to bring the work to exactly that place. In 2017 if you have dog holes on a bench, or an MFT type table You can just plug in a clamp where you need it, and tighten it down right there. For just holding work still while you do something with the stock, you don't need brute holding power near as much as proper placement, and if you can do it quickly, all the better.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I've always used that style of clamp for hold downs on the welding bench.....

Ed
I had a pair, both broke.  So not popular with me..... 
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Great clamp for a mortising block;

[Image: IMG_0829_zpssyq1d2lm.jpg]
I use them on my drill press table. I thought that's what they were made for.
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020