Lecterns
Several months ago I posted asking for advice on a lectern design.  I got some very valuable feedback and made some modifications as a result of the suggestions.  I am not very fast, but I did finally complete them and thought I would share them and say thank you to those who were so helpful in optimizing the design.

Construction is mortise and tenon on the structure and figure 8 fasteners on the top to allow for seasonal movement differences between the top and the cleats that support it.

Finish is Old Masters Early American stain and ML Campbell Magna Max pre-cat lacquer for the oak one and just the Magna Max on the cherry one.

The cross was installed after construction with holes about an extra inch deep in the horizontal piece of the cross to get the aluminum dowel to clear the legs and then they slide into holes about one inch deep into the legs.  Then a set screw from the back side of the leg fixes the dowel in place.  I just used about a 3/8” long set screw and tapped the wood.  When done there is a bout 2.5” of dowel in the cross and 1” of dowel in the leg.  This technique was not necessary for the top dowel.  It is just nearly bottomed out in both holes leaving enough play for the side dowels to easily line up with their holes. 

Original post asking for design help:
https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=7321100
Nice work. I understand your use of the figure 8's on the top, but unless my eyes are totally shot now, it looks like both tops are floating. A very light adaptation of a clunky piece of church furniture, they look light enough to be easily mobile. I like the look.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Excellent work, Brent. The second is as beautiful as the first.

The floating tops really work well. Must be those special floating figure-8s.
Big Grin
The tops are actually floating so your eyes are not deceiving you.  There is an extra stretcher (or cleat - not sure of correct terminology) screwed to the inside surface of the legs that has the figure 8 fasteners.  The figure 8 fasteners are not directly attached to the aprons. 

In this picture there are still two screws to be installed so you might see a couple empty screw holes.  I had to deliver the oak one and wanted to get a picture of both of them together so I quickly mounted the top on cherry one and took my pictures before the oak one disappeared.  The cherry one is much prettier in my opinion but the pictures sure don't show it.  For whatever reason the stained oak one is much more photogenic.

Your comment did prompt an idea though.  The hardware manufacturers should make a figure 8 fastener with a 1/2" offset that would create a floating top without any extra wooden structure.
(04-02-2017, 08:01 PM)ModSE Wrote: Excellent work, Brent. The second is as beautiful as the first.

The floating tops really work well. Must be those special floating figure-8s.
Big Grin

@ Brent - those are beautiful lecterns - really nice design - congrats!
Smile

Several years ago I was asked to build a 'portable' lectern for our local UU Fellowship - came up w/ my own design and chose a combination of walnut - birch ply (cabinet grade) for a contrasty frame-panel look; top is walnut veneer on plywood; and some built-in storage - scroll sawed the 'chalice' on the front which is the UU symbol.  Dave
Smile
[Image: Lectern_UU-XL.png]
Piedmont North Carolina
Brent, thanks for that other pic, makes it clear as a bell.

Some folks make their own 8's out of flat straight grained QS stock. Basic shape can really be anything, just drill out a couple of holes to allow for movement around your screw, and you are good to go, Doing that you could make them as thick as you wanted. That said your work around did very well. From the outside it gives the lift, and that look is why I think they are so airy, and light. Probably goes further toward keeping a heavy leaner from causing a problem too.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Very nicely crafted and finished.  I do like the look of the floating top.
Very nice. I have made a few for teachers and I always try to get out of it because they think you can do something like that for under $100...
They look great, especially if the architecture is modern.

I would only suggest that the metal rods be painted matte black.  The black will visually disappear and give the appearance that the cross is floating in air.  

Here is an example showing the effect of black vs. silver:

[Image: 5320c3b0331b9.jpg]

And here you can see the on the most distant panel that the black virtually is invisible.

[Image: black-chain-link-fence-022.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.