Harbor Freight dust collector switch replacement
After 8yrs, the switch on my Harbor Freight dust collector finally failed (the rest of the unit still runs strong!)

I was thinking maybe replacing it with some sort of remote controlled system (nothing fancy where blast gates are all wired, just a remote I can hold in my pocket)

Any recommendations?
I put a light switch on mine .
Home depot had Christmas time remotes on clearance . I got two for around 10 dollars each . They Have RF remotes . Used it for a year or so with my HF .
Now I have a PSI cyclone with a 2 HP . The remote is still working fine . My DC is in another room . I had to have a RF remote .

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

I have mine hooked to a Lone Ranger. A little pricey imo but I was too lazy to rig something up myself. Works well.
-Marc

here is one

You have plenty of options with a search of Google from basic to high end stuff. 

If you use a toggle switch or similar try to get one that is motor rated, or you are going to be changing switches fairly regularly
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I too use a 'light' switch. It may be motor rated (don't remember), but it's still just a snap switch in a box, though I know it's 20A rated if not 30A, which is readily available, and is the sort of thing I'd do. If and when it fails, I'll buy another one.

My blower is on top of my cyclone, so I needed a remote switch that I could reach, which is not your issue, but if it lives in one place and you don't roll it around, consider a simple switch.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(04-03-2017, 07:48 AM)mound Wrote: After 8yrs, the switch on my Harbor Freight dust collector finally failed (the rest of the unit still runs strong!)

I was thinking maybe replacing it with some sort of remote controlled system (nothing fancy where blast gates are all wired, just a remote I can hold in my pocket)

Any recommendations?

It depends a little on how comfortable you are with electricity. You could get a contactor with the correct coil and an inexpensive wireless remote intended for christmas lights or something like that. The wireless remote only has to switch a small load, the contactor does the 'heavy lifting'.
thanks for all the suggestions!