Domino "knock off"
Just playing with my new used Domino I can say that you can't plunge it as fast as a biscuit joiner.  You have to take your time and let the cutter do the work.  I don't have any dominos yet so I haven't tested the accuracy.  I will agree that my Jessem Doweling jig is deadly accurate.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
I think a lot of the problem with the dominon is that it looks so simple and familiar that it's misleading. It's easy to not be diligent with it since it's so intuitive. But there is a learning curve and even after that if you start to work too fast or let your guard down misalignments happen.

Or at least that's been my experience. But
I'm far from the brightest crayon in the box.
-Marc

(04-03-2017, 03:40 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I haven't used one, only going by what I'm told.

Like this thread:

http://festoolownersgroup.com/festool-to...he-domino/

I'm not knocking it, just saying that for a system that relies on a fence system similar to what a good biscuit jointer offers, it seems logical to assume that you will get alignment about the same you can achieve with a good biscuit jointer.

And I'm pretty good w/ my PC biscuit jointer.  But there are times where it seems like the fence rocked or whatever and the registration is a little off.

I think if you read all the way through the thread, alignment issues were either user error, or due to the early model fences.  I've never had a problem using my Domino for edge alignment.  Plunge slowly, make sure you are using the proper registration on faces, and don't rest the bottom of the Domino on the table, and you won't have alignment issues.  Since the Domino has three different settings for the width of the hole you make for the Domino's, I actually think it's easier to use than a Doweling jig, which makes one net size hole for whatever dowel you use.  If the holes don't align perfectly, it's a pain.  With a wider slot from the Domino, you have some room for a slightly misaligned hole - at least with side-to-side alignment.

The closest thing to a Domino is using a router to make mortises for loose tenons.  Kinda hard to get consistent registration with the router, though, unless it's edge joining using a self-centering base.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I have never seen a knock off sold in stores, but I have seen knock offs that are home built.  There was a pretty interesting version put out by a Russian fellow a few years ago that used a trim router and a home built carriage.  I think there was an American guy who built his own version too.  Essentially the same thing, but not quite the same.
I have the Domino - awesome tool that makes (even) me look like a craftsman. 
Laugh

I have several Festools (track saw, Domino, and 2 sanders) they are VERY WELL DESIGNED, work very well and have excellent dust collection.
However they are usually more than double in price of the next best thing.
I'd like to know when the patent runs out on the domino?

i just can't bring myself to spend the cash on such an expensive production type tool when almost all of my woodworking is one of stuff.

If it goes off patent in the next 3-5 years I'll probably wait, but if it's going to be 10 or more maybe one day I'll go for it.

Duke
I'm not sure why, but it seems like the patent is good into the late 2020s. At least i think I read that on the internet, so we all know that's true.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(04-04-2017, 08:31 AM)JDuke Wrote: I'd like to know when the patent runs out on the domino?

i just can't bring myself to spend the cash on such an expensive production type tool when almost all of my woodworking is one of stuff.

If it goes off patent in the next 3-5 years I'll probably wait, but if it's going to be 10 or more maybe one day I'll go for it.

Duke

Stop wishing and waiting and build a horizontal router mortiser. 

John
I already have one and would still like a domino
(04-04-2017, 08:50 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Stop wishing and waiting and build a horizontal router mortiser. 

John

I  just finished building John's horizontal mortiser and it cured me of the cursed Domino Fever.

Yes