Domino "knock off"
I have the fever for a Domino but I'm light in the pocket.  Missed one on CL.

So the question is: Is there something similar?
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I think you'll be waiting until Festool's patent expires if you want a knock off. I don't know when that will be, but I don't think it's any time soon.
>
Worse than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge.
>
The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim. - Gustave Le Bon

I've read the Domino alignment can be a little off, I've been told it isn't quite as precise as a quality doweling jig like the Jessem (or one you make yourself).

It seems like the positioning of the machine is accomplished pretty much the same way as a biscuit joiner, and so (at least to me) the alignment issues is somewhat believable.  That is, I have used a biscuit joiner quite a bit and do find every once in a while that the alignment of faces can be a fingernail off.

That doesn't tend to happen to me with a quality doweling jig.  If I'm very concerned about alignment, I can clamp the jig to the workpiece and I know my registration is going to be spot-on.  Often I'll hand-hold the doweling jig and my alignment is still consistently better than I get with the biscuit jointer.  Don't get me wrong, my biscuit jointer works great but my doweled joints don't even catch a nail after a swipe or two with some medium-grit sandpaper.

For instances where I want the best of both worlds, I still use my mortising jig:

http://www.jpthien.com/mj.htm
Bill,

There is no domino knock off that I know of (as said above - festool's patent).  I think the next closest thing would be to either make a horizontal router stand and your own floating tenons.  I did that for a few years before my wife bought me a domino for my birthday.  It worked but was never as accurate as I wanted it to be.  Otherwise maybe a beadlock.

Jimmy
You can build my first generation horizontal router mortiser  for around $75, less if you have some stuff lying around.  There are a couple of things a Domino can do that it can't, but there are many things it can do that a Domino cannot.  It's fast, safe, and very accurate.  Several folks here and elsewhere have one. 

John
(04-03-2017, 10:59 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: I've read the Domino alignment can be a little off, I've been told it isn't quite as precise as a quality doweling jig like the Jessem (or one you make yourself).

If the Domino is off then it is user error.
(04-03-2017, 12:28 PM)Huxleywood Wrote: If the Domino is off then it is user error.

I agree with that.

I've found that as long as the Domino is registered against at least 2 surfaces--one always being the face where the bit protrudes---then I always get very accurate joinery.  If I'm plunging the Domino into a board's face and I'm not using its fold-down fence or have its base against a clamped stop, then when I plunge in, when the bit touches the board, it can make the Domino wobble and the joint can be off.
Thank you for the responses.  I may look into a good doweling jig.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
For a Doweling Jig I have the Dowelmax and love it.

That said, I also own the Festool Domino and find uses for both tools. But the Dowelmax is rock solid.
(04-03-2017, 12:28 PM)Huxleywood Wrote: If the Domino is off then it is user error.

I haven't used one, only going by what I'm told.

Like this thread:

http://festoolownersgroup.com/festool-to...he-domino/

I'm not knocking it, just saying that for a system that relies on a fence system similar to what a good biscuit jointer offers, it seems logical to assume that you will get alignment about the same you can achieve with a good biscuit jointer.

And I'm pretty good w/ my PC biscuit jointer.  But there are times where it seems like the fence rocked or whatever and the registration is a little off.